Thread: Webley and Scott Stingray age ?

Webley and Scott Stingray age ?

First post ..

Hi everyone first post so don't be to harsh,

I have just purchased a .22 stingray first air rifle in 20 years I was wondering if anyone could give me a date of manufacture. I intend to give it a bit of a restoration job,
    883960 is the only numbers I can find on it I have searched the internet with out success, reading the treads on here as lead to a blank unless I missed one.

Could anyone help please..

If it says “Birmingham England” on the breech block, it was made between 2000 and 2005.

If it doesn’t, it is a more recent Turkish made rifle.

Stingray.

Like Geezer said. 2000 to 2005. 4 models available. Stingray, Stingray karbine, Stingray Deluxe, Stingray Express (200 made). Regards Mach 1 5
    Last edited by Mach 1.5; 14-02-2020 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    If it says “Birmingham England” on the breech block, it was made between 2000 and 2005.

Thanks it does say Birmingham so that makes it a MK1 just so I know for ordering a service kit.

Question

Sorry for the necropost. The OP only posted a couple of times, so I don't suppose he'll mind.

I have a Webley Stingray Carbine with the serial number 897512, which is stamped on a bit wonky.

Is there any way I can find the exact year it was produced?

I have a personal completely unproven theory that Webley serials in the 80s do not follow a precise date order.

I’ve seen enough higher number guns that seemed to be earlier in their features than lower number ones (across the Vulcan/Viscount and their myriad variants 1979-2005) to be sceptical.

My entirely uninformed theory is that they may have allocated “blocks” of numbers to particular models, rather randomly.

If anyone on here knows, it will be slug-gun or Josie and John.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

And, as I understand the Birmingham built ones had any markings stamped on whereas the Turkish built ones have the markings in gold (bronze?) lettering and pre-fixed "TR"?

Or was there some crossover where some Turkish built ones may have stamped markings?

P.S.....welcome to the forum, harrybarry.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Or was there some crossover where some Turkish built ones may have stamped markings?
    The turkish guns seem to be laser marked after the bluing process.

IF i remember correctly, we saw some crossover Tomahawks here in Norway, with engraved British barrels and laser marked tubes.
    The Norwegian importer had bought a big shipment of what was supposed to be the last British Tomahawks.
    Turned out, they were put together in Turkey using remaining British parts. Most were laser marked, but as mentioned, some had stamped markings.
    The finish was crude compared to all British webleys I have seen, and some of the barrels had been ruined during the crowning and breech chamfering process.

Cheers for that, evert.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!