Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of questions about buying

A couple of questions about buying

1) I want to buy a springer air rifle. I shot as a young boy very occasionally but that’s it. I’m a novice. Thing is I’m not clear how I can obtain the piece and comply with the regs. I know no gunsmiths to nominate and even if I did I have mobility problems which could well prevent my collecting it from a shop (I want the gun for pest control chiefly).

I thought I might be allowed to nominate someone else to collect it, but that would probably defeat the purpose of legislation designed to make access to firearms as difficult as possible for people. Also I live alone. I am old now. Family and friends are all gone.

When I broached this question with one or two gun shops using online chat I got incomprehensible answers to questions I hadn’t asked. No luck either on the telephone. One gunsmith in the Wigan asked for my number and post code and said he’d call me back in a few minutes. That was a week ago.

Finally I decided to join a forum and pick the brains of more experienced individuals. I’ve been reading some of the stuff and there are some well informed people on here, but personally I suspect I’m stymied, that if I’m unable to pick the item up in person I won’t be permitted to buy it at all. Is that about the size of it?

2) I'd like to buy a .25 calibre springer. Uncommon to say the least in England I know outside of Section 1 PCPs (my circumstances make it feasible but I don't want to get into arguments about .25s in sub 12ft-lb air rifles). Anyway I thought about buying abroad then sending it away for any 're-tuning' that may be required before putting it into use. Is this feasible technically? Is it legal?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by peepsight View Post
    1) I want to buy a springer air rifle. I shot as a young boy very occasionally but that’s it. I’m a novice. Thing is I’m not clear how I can obtain the piece and comply with the regs. I know no gunsmiths to nominate and even if I did I have mobility problems which could well prevent my collecting it from a shop (I want the gun for pest control chiefly).

I thought I might be allowed to nominate someone else to collect it, but that would probably defeat the purpose of legislation designed to make access to firearms as difficult as possible for people. Also I live alone. I am old now. Family and friends are all gone.

When I broached this question with one or two gun shops using online chat I got incomprehensible answers to questions I hadn’t asked. No luck either on the telephone. One gunsmith in the Wigan asked for my number and post code and said he’d call me back in a few minutes. That was a week ago.

Finally I decided to join a forum and pick the brains of more experienced individuals. I’ve been reading some of the stuff and there are some well informed people on here, but personally I suspect I’m stymied, that if I’m unable to pick the item up in person I won’t be permitted to buy it at all. Is that about the size of it?

In simple terms, the 2006 VCR act put an end to buying new guns by mail order within the UK and new guns can only be bought face to face from an RFD who has to record your name and address.
    That said there is nothing to stop you sending someone else to pick the gun up from an RFD for you and then "selling it to you" as second hand, as the VCR act doesn't cover secondhand sales.

2) I'd like to buy a .25 calibre springer. Uncommon to say the least in England I know outside of Section 1 PCPs (my circumstances make it feasible but I don't want to get into arguments about .25s in sub 12ft-lb air rifles). Anyway I thought about buying abroad then sending it away for any 're-tuning' that may be required before putting it into use. Is this feasible technically? Is it legal?

Completely legal and feasible, the only downsides are that the savings you've made in buying from the EU may be swallowed up in paying someone to re-tune it, and there is also the question of warranty if the need arises.

Hope this helps

All the best Mick

The other option would be a RFD that delivers .
    They do exist Pellpax , DAI leisure. Sportsguns
    Last edited by Alakar; 13-02-2020 at 09:44 AM.

As above, there is nothing whatsoever to prevent a friend or trusted nominee, (with age and address ID), from purchasing and collecting an air rifle and either gifting or selling to you, an age verifiable adult. The only downside is that the original transaction would be in the name of your friend and should the rifle need any warranty work then he/she would have to do the legwork again and explain the problem(s) to the shop owner.

There are a number of online retailers that will deliver to your door, Pellpax and DAILeisure come to mind, they are proper RFD's and use their own employees to do the deliveries so legally the transaction is face to face. The prices are usually not very competitive but it is a service which works for folks who do not have shops local to them.

That said, you might struggle to find a .25 with either of the above retailers so paragraph 1 is probably your best but try a phone call to either and they may be prepared to order something in.

With the sort of pests you're trying to control wouldnt a .22 be sufficient, gives you a massive choice of rifle and pellet compared to .25
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

Hi,
    well firstly many of the regs (VCR act) only apply to UK RFD's when selling, if you buy a used item privately the seller can send it to your door with ParcelForce48.
    There is no reason I know of why someone cannot collect for you, the only issue might be that the shop would record the person collecting as the owner & they would need to prove their ID like any other buyer.

You could buy abroad, many people do & some retailers supply UK spec rifles, others supply the parts to make them UK legal but if you're not able to do the work yourself that hardly puts you any further forward

A further consideration might be your circumstances, You state for pest control but there are rules, particularly for birds, as to what is a pest & when they can be shot, not such an issue with rodents but SAFETY & LEGALITY will be an issue in every situation, so even something like shooting rats around dustbins has to be assessed as to whether it's safe & legal to do so, the days when the neighbours appreciated kids shooting rats in the alleys & back yards is long gone, & you need to own or have the owners permission to shoot anywhere.

Nothing wrong with .25cal in sub-12 I'm a big fan, but you're right they aren't common.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I'm not totally clear on this?

I get you want a .25 springer for pest control - rare as they are, but you say you have mobility problems so can't go to a shop?

So, my query is:

1. What are you planning to shoot
    2. Where are you planning to shoot
    3. Is a springer ok for your condition
    4. Are you buying new or second hand
    5. What is your total budge for everything

So have you taken advice on all of the above, or just decided you want what you want and you will shoot what you want where you want?

It's just from what you have said I could see potential issues with most of it, but give us more detail and we can give you better info back to keep you out of trouble and with the best equipment for the job.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    I'm not totally clear on this?

I get you want a .25 springer for pest control - rare as they are, but you say you have mobility problems so can't go to a shop?

So, my query is:

1. What are you planning to shoot
    2. Where are you planning to shoot
    3. Is a springer ok for your condition
    4. Are you buying new or second hand
    5. What is your total budge for everything

So have you taken advice on all of the above, or just decided you want what you want and you will shoot what you want where you want?

It's just from what you have said I could see potential issues with most of it, but give us more detail and we can give you better info back to keep you out of trouble and with the best equipment for the job.

James
    I'll admit, most of this had also crossed my mind.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Completely legal and feasible, the only downsides are that the savings you've made in buying from the EU may be swallowed up in paying someone to re-tune it, and there is also the question of warranty if the need arises.

Hope this helps

All the best Mick
    It does indeed. It raised my spirits no end in point of fact. I felt certain to be disappointed. Thanks Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    The other option would be a RFD that delivers .
    They do exist Pellpax , DAI leisure. Sportsguns
    I'd been curious about this apparent contradiction so I picked up the phone and contacted Pellpax (a rather expensive outfit from what I can see), whereupon they explained it to me. Handy service for those in my position.

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    As above, there is nothing whatsoever to prevent a friend or trusted nominee, (with age and address ID), from purchasing and collecting an air rifle and either gifting or selling to you, an age verifiable adult. The only downside is that the original transaction would be in the name of your friend and should the rifle need any warranty work then he/she would have to do the legwork again and explain the problem(s) to the shop owner.

Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks.

There are a number of online retailers that will deliver to your door, Pellpax and DAILeisure come to mind, they are proper RFD's and use their own employees to do the deliveries so legally the transaction is face to face. The prices are usually not very competitive but it is a service which works for folks who do not have shops local to them.

Yes. Pellpax use drivers as RFDs. Bit like the town Marshall deputising people for a posse in those old Westerns.

That said, you might struggle to find a .25 with either of the above retailers so paragraph 1 is probably your best but try a phone call to either and they may be prepared to order something in.
    You're right. I did. That's why I looked abroad then posted here for the legal and technical position. I don't want a section 1. I've had mental health problems in recent years (deeply fashionable I know). All very well articles in magazines and elsewhere urging sufferers not to let psychological problems stand in the way of an application - e.g. https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shot-gu...wnership-50713, and of course which of us can honestly say he has never awoken to greet the day believing himself to be a retired Field Marshal or slice of toast? - but such hopes will likely to prove vain in my estimation.

It wouldn't take much to fall foul of the authorities these days furthermore (witness the events which overtook Callum Long Collins). Irrational neighbours resolved to defend the rights of Squirrel Nutkin to the death - preferably yours - present a risk not be underestimated. I've seen enough You Tube comments from ordinary, healthy, well adjusted individuals drawn into unasked for confrontations with crazed sentimentalists and subsequently hospitalized by them - these were in the U.S., where you expect a more pragmatic view to hold sway, not sleepy Oxfordshire - to give one ample reason for caution when it comes to the law and pest control.

The allusion to buying in what I need is also well taken. Indeed I contacted a Dutch firm on the web just the other day. They've all ready offered me a .25 Weihrauch HW77. I also found an HW95K for sale at Draper's in Nottingham as a matter of fact, but it's scope-only, and of course a purchase from gunshops brings us back to RFDs and collection.

Quote Originally Posted by charliemow13 View Post
    With the sort of pests you're trying to control wouldnt a .22 be sufficient, gives you a massive choice of rifle and pellet compared to .25
    Squirrels chiefly. The grey has reached my part of the world and one or more have just burrowed their way into my home. I've tried pest controllers (£150 a throw). One put poison down in the attic (so he said) and (so he said) actually used expanding foam to block where they were getting in (age and infirmity prevent my clambering aloft to verify this, so he could be telling me anything really).

At any rate the scratching returned within a week. When workman arrived yesterday to assess the damage to the gable end's wooden 'barge' (?) they said the hole was still there. The fellow I paid did stress the temporary nature of the foam's remedial properties to be fair to him, and squirrels do have terrific claws and teeth as powerful as those of a beaver from what I understand, but failure to answer subsequent emails intended to put more business his way make me suspicious in spite of a glowing reputation on Trust Pilot.

A .22 might do the job in expert hands, but not necessarily a .22 wielded by yours truly, in which case a larger calibre AT CLOSE RANGE might just compensate for related deficiencies, one being the many reported occurrences where .177 and even .22 pellets simply bounce off the bigger specimens, stunning or injuring them but failing to despatch them properly. It is of course my intention to practice till I reach a satisfactory standard before adopting measures which might be described as anything approaching lethal, the requirement to kill the little bastards humanely being uppermost in one's mind at all times. Be that as it may the gloves are coming off: it's John Wayne time (looks askance; mutters 'Who the hell's John Wayne..?')

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Hi,
    well firstly many of the regs (VCR act) only apply to UK RFD's when selling, if you buy a used item privately the seller can send it to your door with ParcelForce48.

Now that's interesting and something I wasn't aware of. Maybe I should take another look at sites like GunStar

A further consideration might be your circumstances, You state for pest control but there are rules, particularly for birds, as to what is a pest & when they can be shot, not such an issue with rodents but SAFETY & LEGALITY will be an issue in every situation, so even something like shooting rats around dustbins has to be assessed as to whether it's safe & legal to do so, the days when the neighbours appreciated kids shooting rats in the alleys & back yards is long gone, & you need to own or have the owners permission to shoot anywhere.

Nothing wrong with .25cal in sub-12 I'm a big fan, but you're right they aren't common.
    Nice to see I'm not alone. By the way I'm a former member of the RSPB. Unless the entire avian world went Hitchcock on me I wouldn't dream of killing birds. One circumstance (in a suburban setting, let it be emphasised) where 'shoo before you shoot' or whatever the doltish busybodies at English Nature called it might actually apply.

Some really helpful answers here. Thank you everyone. I knew you wouldn't let me down. (Trying to insert a thumb's up but it isn't working. Oh well.)

Large calibre at close range... as much as I love .25 (I have two), I'd go .22 personally - its cheaper both in pellet purchasing and rifle purchasing (.25 often attracts premium price / special order)

Pellet wise try RWS Hobby. At close range - especially with squirrels they are devastating. I've never experienced anything moving once they've been hit. Lightweight, flat headed and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
    Large calibre at close range... as much as I love .25 (I have two), I'd go .22 personally - its cheaper both in pellet purchasing and rifle purchasing (.25 often attracts premium price / special order)

I've never experienced anything moving once they've been hit. Lightweight, flat headed and cheap.
    I take your point. On the other hand Backyard Sniper is using a .177 calibre Benjamin Trail but with a velocity of 1500 fps and shooting at a distance of between 15 and 25 yards (I don't know the pellet weight). Seems like smaller projectiles at greater distances than I would require (but travelling faster) leave them jumping around like a scalded cats even after being mortally wounded.
    Last edited by T 20; 13-02-2020 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Link removed

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post

Pellet wise try RWS Hobby. At close range - especially with squirrels they are devastating. I've never experienced anything moving once they've been hit. Lightweight, flat headed and cheap.
    Same here with the much smaller rat, and this was with an HW100 .22 calibre (I wasn't able to upload more than one video link in the same post for some reason).
    Last edited by T 20; 13-02-2020 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Link removed

Same here with the much smaller rat, and this was with an HW100 .22 calibre (I wasn't able to upload more than one video link in the same post for some reason).
    The forum owner doesn't allow video links to shooting live quarry --- hence the edits.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    The forum owner doesn't allow video links to shooting live quarry --- hence the edits.

All the best Mick
    Oops. Sorry. Duly noted.

Oops. Sorry. Duly noted.
    No problem at all, Sir.