Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do I do with my target guns?

What do I do with my target guns?

Hi,

On the face of it, my question seems very odd or obvious!

I have a 9 month old Steyr Evo and a FWB 300SU in perfect condition. As some may know, I have just finished making a home range to shoot them in. My daughter and I were up until a few months ago shooting at a local target shooting club. We are now full members of a shooting club that shoot just about all disciplines from air to black powder cannon !

We left the local target club as we felt they were not helping us shoot or get involved in any comps. They spent all their time helping one young girl and a disabled guy in a wheel chair. Of course these people needed help, but not to the detriment of all other members to the point we were totally ignored for the whole 6 months we were there! When I enquired about stepping up to a more competitive local club, turns out they also ran it and we were told we were not good enough. We may have been good enough if they’d have helped us, but they didn’t so we left.

The club we are now full members of ( probation served and FAC applications with the police ) run a postal comp, but for various reasons it’s unlikely we will be doing any more of these through our club.

I bought my Evo to train up and shoot comps, then my daughter got her MPR and now I have my FWB as I like diopter. I already shoot the clubs prone 22LR with diopter (I have all the gear, just no rifle) and have done a large local comp and came 2nd in class.

The problem now is I have the guns, I have the places to shoot, but I have nobody to help me train or any reason to shoot them other than for fun and the MPL! There is nobody in my club that is motivated enough to proactively shoot in comps. 99% of air shooters in my club just make holes in paper in doors with hunting rifles and bench rest knock downs on the outdoor range.

So I don’t know what to do?

I have been shooting air for 30 odd years, but not target comp, so I have absolutely no idea what to do at this point in my hobby? Up until now I’ve just been plinking on my own here and there and with my daughter. Clubs are a very new thing to us and we are finding club shooting very challenging for all the wrong reasons!

I have just bought Robins book and will be following that, but what then? How do I take my shooting to the next level at comps if it’s not through my club or postal? Are all target shooting clubs problematic? I’m not sure I’m ‘clicky’ enough to fit into clubs??
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 12-11-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Mate, I had the almost Exact same experience as you, only difference is my new club is very into postal comps and everyone is very helpful and friendly. I hope it works out for you.
    I used to shoot 10m air Pistol and I managed to beef my scores up by reading This website http://www.pilkguns.com/essential-information/
    Donald

This sounds a bit 'chicken and egg', but I was invited to join the West Midlands Regional Target Shooting Squad after having a few reasonable results at some shoulder-to-shoulder 'open' matches.

I don't know if there is an equivalent squad in your region, but getting your name and face known might guide you in the direction of a coach/squad.

My first experience of any shooting competition was when a friend persuaded me to enter the British open at Bisley with my Gamo Compact in class 'D'. I was bricking it, but scored better than some of the other shooters with £1000 pistols and more experience.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    This sounds a bit 'chicken and egg', but I was invited to join the West Midlands Regional Target Shooting Squad after having a few reasonable results at some shoulder-to-shoulder 'open' matches.

I don't know if there is an equivalent squad in your region, but getting your name and face known might guide you in the direction of a coach/squad.

My first experience of any shooting competition was when a friend persuaded me to enter the British open at Bisley with my Gamo Compact in class 'D'. I was bricking it, but scored better than some of the other shooters with £1000 pistols and more experience.
    So what I seem to be looking for is open shoots that presumably anybody can enter (NSRA MEMBER) ?
    How do I find out where open shoots are?
    Thanks

There's also an NSRA postal league, I'm not 100% but I'm sure you can shoot it independently with no club affiliation.
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    So what I seem to be looking for is open shoots that presumably anybody can enter (NSRA MEMBER) ?
    How do I find out where open shoots are?
    Thanks
    NSRA membership is only a requirement for NSRA matches, the August Bisley meeting, the Scottish, the British 10m champs. County and District association matches may require club affiliation, but that should be covered in the entry form. Open matches are just that, even those that restrict certain prizes to county residents.

The NSRA website carries details of some upcoming events, when the organisers tell them. Otherwise lookat your county/regional association website, and for neighbouring areas if you want to travel. There is usually a Welsh contingent at most Somerset meetings, as these are held outside Bristol.

Target

Hi

If you like shooting with your 300s, have you given Bell Target a thought, you have the Newport Air Rifle League in your area I am sure they would welcome you with open arms and if it is competition you want, you wont find better.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimlad View Post
    Hi

If you like shooting with your 300s, have you given Bell Target a thought, you have the Newport Air Rifle League in your area I am sure they would welcome you with open arms and if it is competition you want, you wont find better.
    Jim
    Bell target in Newport south Wales?
    That sounds interesting :-)
    Do you have a member number I can ring?
    Maybe PM it?
    Or a website?

Also Shooting in Bristol is not the end of the world, it's only a 35 minute drive and the bridge fee is coming off in a few weeks

No, you are supposed to ring the bell!
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Clubs

I'm afraid this is not an uncommon problem, but I'm sure there will be other clubs within travelling, and that you will find one that is more target focused.
    For open meetings there are various sources, the NSRA, the Stirton forum, and of course here on BBS, and just do searches on county associations in your travel area. I also think going to the British Airgun Championship is a good source of meeting people and finding clubs.

Postals, I think the best and most helpful and friendly leagues in the UK are the Dorset Association, look up their contacts on google, they run leagues with many divisions, so you can always shoot against people of a similar standard, they do self scoring, and send in results by email. If you cant find them email me.

But of course there is also the Welsh association, they run "probably" the best open air meeting in the UK, and I'm sure would help you find clubs in Wales.

Both the British and the Welsh opens may seem a bit daunting, the standard at both will be very high, even the lower classes are not true hunting grounds for beginners, so perhaps visit first to see what its all about, and I'm sure you will make contacts amongst what for use of a better term are the right sort of people, like minded target shooter. the Welsh Open is very soon, 16th to 18th November, Sophia Gardens, Cardiff, to late to enter but a good source for you to attend. The British Championships is Feb.

Love your range by the way, you can shoot any thing at home, as long as you meet the requirements, correct targets, and correct witnessing, for NSRA you need an official designated witness with the NSRA.

I'm glad to hear you have my book on the way, any one who has my book is welcome to contact me by email direct and I will always help with guidance on specific queries or problems you may have.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Last edited by RobinC; 12-11-2018 at 01:16 PM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by tim s View Post
    NSRA membership is only a requirement for NSRA matches, the August Bisley meeting, the Scottish, the British 10m champs.
    I'm going to be a bit of a pedant and point out that membership is not required for entering the NSRA Meetings, only the Postals. There is however a surcharge for people who are not members. So it'll cost you more, but you don't need to be a member.

Entries for the NSRA-Eley Postal are open until December 5th. It's run through clubs (the Secretary scores the cards locally for Round 1).

As others have mentioned - the Welsh Open is on at Sport Wales over the 16/17th. Go and meet people, potentially join the WAA and get on their mailing list, etc.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Quote Originally Posted by Hemmers View Post
    I'm going to be a bit of a pedant and point out that membership is not required for entering the NSRA Meetings, only the Postals. There is however a surcharge for people who are not members. So it'll cost you more, but you don't need to be a member.
    Hemmers,

Point taken. However the surcharge is for meeting membership. You don't have to take out associate, annual, or life membership, but you still have to be a member.

Bell Target

Just search on Newport and District Air Rifle League
    They also have a facebook page

jim

Bell target in Newport south Wales?
    That sounds interesting :-)
    Maybe PM it?
    Or a website?

Also Shooting in Bristol is not the end of the world, it's only a 35 minute drive and the bridge fee is coming off in a few weeks

Thank you for the all the info

Unfortunately all clubs in Cardiff are out of the question for us for reasons.

So I will look into the, Newport, Bristol and Dorset clubs :-)

Thank you.

I've just started 10m probably didn't do my research very well, club is a superb setup but has no one who shoots 10m rifle just pistol and rimfire.

I then took my research online and then find any questions I ask or advice answer is more or less go get a coach...well I've already tried that met up with the guy at the club, had a good chat he went away we discussed he was going to sort a training plan out for me but then nothing, he ignores my messages and doesn't reply.

For me with 10m I can see the attraction but my god the sport I struggle to understand how it continues as from a newcomers point of view there is little help.. apart from going straight to a coach - they call field target exclusive, but it's far more inclusive than 10m.

Don't get me wrong I've met a few people who are helping me along - at my club the pistol shooters are trying to help me also a few online are doing the same.

I just think from a beginner's point of view there's no easy to understand info about the sport.

But saying all that I'm going to persevere, intending to go along to a few comps to see if I can pick things up.

Matt