Thread: What do I do with my target guns?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What do I do with my target guns?

Hi,

On the face of it, my question seems very odd or obvious!

I have a 9 month old Steyr Evo and a FWB 300SU in perfect condition. As some may know, I have just finished making a home range to shoot them in. My daughter and I were up until a few months ago shooting at a local target shooting club. We are now full members of a shooting club that shoot just about all disciplines from air to black powder cannon !

We left the local target club as we felt they were not helping us shoot or get involved in any comps. They spent all their time helping one young girl and a disabled guy in a wheel chair. Of course these people needed help, but not to the detriment of all other members to the point we were totally ignored for the whole 6 months we were there! When I enquired about stepping up to a more competitive local club, turns out they also ran it and we were told we were not good enough. We may have been good enough if they’d have helped us, but they didn’t so we left.

The club we are now full members of ( probation served and FAC applications with the police ) run a postal comp, but for various reasons it’s unlikely we will be doing any more of these through our club.

I bought my Evo to train up and shoot comps, then my daughter got her MPR and now I have my FWB as I like diopter. I already shoot the clubs prone 22LR with diopter (I have all the gear, just no rifle) and have done a large local comp and came 2nd in class.

The problem now is I have the guns, I have the places to shoot, but I have nobody to help me train or any reason to shoot them other than for fun and the MPL! There is nobody in my club that is motivated enough to proactively shoot in comps. 99% of air shooters in my club just make holes in paper in doors with hunting rifles and bench rest knock downs on the outdoor range.

So I don’t know what to do?

I have been shooting air for 30 odd years, but not target comp, so I have absolutely no idea what to do at this point in my hobby? Up until now I’ve just been plinking on my own here and there and with my daughter. Clubs are a very new thing to us and we are finding club shooting very challenging for all the wrong reasons!

I have just bought Robins book and will be following that, but what then? How do I take my shooting to the next level at comps if it’s not through my club or postal? Are all target shooting clubs problematic? I’m not sure I’m ‘clicky’ enough to fit into clubs??
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 12-11-2018 at 10:17 AM.