This query was sparked by watchaparts post below regarding last serial numbers. Earlier this year I bid on Webley MkIII which claimed to be the earliest known with the serial number 22. I can't remember what I bid on it, just that it wasn't enough. I do remember racking my brains in an effort to value it. I wasn't able to attend the auction so it was a case of cross my fingers and email a commission bid. As I did that I was well aware that 'auction fever' on the day made success unlikely with those in the room having the advantage of handling the piece whereas I was bidding blind. The estimate was about £165 to £220 and the rifle was described as in good working order and condition by an auctioneer who I've always found to be prophetic. unfortunately I wasn't able to print the results so I don't know what it achieved on the day although I'm fairly sure at least a couple of BBSers will know, even if they weren't present.

That's been the long way round to ask the title of the post. Bear in mind that it is only the Earliest Known until another comes along with 21 possibilities out there. I'd welcome any thoughts or comments on the topic.

ATB, Mick