Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What premium would you put on the first/last of a model?

Had the same thought Chris about ageing collectors whilst queuing for Kempton at 69 felt quite spritely

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    Hmm - "Hoarding wealth" eh? Not sure that is necessarily true in many cases. Hoarding a deprecating asset may often be more the case? The collectors that have sought out and cherished pre and post war collectables are now old and dying, or frankly dead, and are not being replaced by a younger generation of collector in any quantity. Further those younger collectors want 'stuff' they remember from their youth, and not an old Airsporter from the 1950's, lovely as they are?

So many old toys for example of one popular collecting area, are now worth less than they were 20+ years ago. I think we may see similar with the more common or garden airguns in the future?
    The good stuff holds value quite well. How the next generation or generations see a certain collectable is something quite different. If the momentum is retained then there is no loss of capital and sometimes a small return.
    Depth of wealth has to be balance to loss of opportunity, but also security.
    What value to the enjoyment a collectable gives to the person?
    Its always been who and how many are interested in a certain collectable. That has always changed over time.

Sure air rifles will move with the fashion and age related interest. But the good stuff should hold its own if not make some great return. Where the interests holds or builds the value goes. Disposable income always makes a difference too, as people need spare cash to follow their passions when collecting.

Like a painting the real value is in the enjoyment of ownership for a while. No one should do it just for the money. Your lucky if there is any real uplift in value. Some things do some won't. Airguns do "fair", with the occasional one doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    Hmm - "Hoarding wealth" eh? Not sure that is necessarily true in many cases. Hoarding a deprecating asset may often be more the case? The collectors that have sought out and cherished pre and post war collectables are now old and dying, or frankly dead, and are not being replaced by a younger generation of collector in any quantity. Further those younger collectors want 'stuff' they remember from their youth, and not an old Airsporter from the 1950's, lovely as they are?

So many old toys for example of one popular collecting area, are now worth less than they were 20+ years ago. I think we may see similar with the more common or garden airguns in the future?
    Not saying you're wrong about this in general, Chris, because I agree, but some collectables do seem to command very high prices at auction when accessible from all over the world via the internet (ie Tell mod 3s). I don't think we should be unduly gloomy that nice pieces won't be of interest to future generations just because they didn't lust after them in their youths. Agree this will happen with run of the mill stuff - and has already happened if you think how cheap a useable-but-well-used prewar BSA is.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Not saying you're wrong about this in general, Chris, because I agree, but some collectables do seem to command very high prices at auction when accessible from all over the world via the internet (ie Tell mod 3s). I don't think we should be unduly gloomy that nice pieces won't be of interest to future generations just because they didn't lust after them in their youths. Agree this will happen with run of the mill stuff - and has already happened if you think how cheap a useable-but-well-used prewar BSA is.
    Danny, if we are to encourage the next generation, that last sentence should be changed to.....

Agree this will happen with run of the mill stuff - and has already happened if you think how infinitely affordable a useable-but-well-used prewar BSA is. In fact it would make the perfect Christmas present for the fledgling collector......

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    I have seen Number 2 Mick, but although the numbers may be low, I was told by a man that knows 'Webley MK3 Ser Numbers are confusing'
    Whoops, make that Number 3

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Danny, if we are to encourage the next generation, that last sentence should be changed to.....

Agree this will happen with run of the mill stuff - and has already happened if you think how infinitely affordable a useable-but-well-used prewar BSA is. In fact it would make the perfect Christmas present for the fledgling collector......

Lakey
    No disagreement with you here Andy.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.