Thread: First air rifle with a 2 stage trigger?

First air rifle with a 2 stage trigger?

Anyone have an idea when the first 2 stage trigger appeared on an air rifle, in particular a springer?
    The handfull of pre war springers I've shot are adjustable for weight but single stage.

Also maybe the early resevior rifles or CO2 rifles?

Cheers,
    Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Anyone have an idea when the first 2 stage trigger appeared on an air rifle, in particular a springer?
    The handfull of pre war springers I've shot are adjustable for weight but single stage.

Cheers,
    Matt.
    I think the early MK3 Webley had a 2 stage trigger, but I could be egg

Didn’t the prewar German rifles have a 2 stage trigger to serve as trainers cause their Military rifles had 2 stage triggers?

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Thanks,
    Anything pre-1905?

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    They did - although they called them 'double pull'.

Bear in mind though the trigger and indeed pretty much the whole Mk3 is a copy of an earlier Diana rifle.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Cheers,
    Matt.
    Are you excluding double set triggers from your definition of a 2-stage trigger, as these date back more then 200 years for long barrel airguns?

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Are you excluding double set triggers from your definition of a 2-stage trigger, as these date back more then 200 years for long barrel airguns?
    Hi John,
    To be honest I'm specifically keen to know if there was a spring powered air rifle with a modern style 2 stage trigger prior to 1905 ie: initial amount of travel before a definite second stage, then a crisp let off. It's for something I'm researching.

Although any history of airgun trigger types is of interest.

Thanks,

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Didn’t the prewar German rifles have a 2 stage trigger to serve as trainers cause their Military rifles had 2 stage triggers?
    The 1931-onwards Diana 45 (of which the MkIII was a copy) had a proper two-stage.

Not, I think, as a military trainer, just as a nice idea for what was then an absolute top of the range rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    The 1931-onwards Diana 45 (of which the MkIII was a copy) had a proper two-stage.
    Thanks,
    So would the Diana 45 be the first proper two-stage trigger on a spring piston rifle?
    I understand BSA had their double sear triggers from the 1920's onwards, although not really a proper two-stage.

Matt.

Thanks,
    So would the Diana 45 be the first proper two-stage trigger on a spring piston rifle?
    I understand BSA had their double sear triggers from the 1920's onwards, although not really a proper two-stage.

Matt.
    Quite possibly, though pre-1945 is not my speciality. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can contribute some knowledge.