Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New HFT point scoring system.

Quote Originally Posted by joseph View Post
    Obviously i'm out of touch, tell me more about TAG, all I could find was people in Hawaii running around with assault weapons
    John Milewski and I were chatting over a pint (or two) many years back and discussing what different comps could be put on other than the usual FT and HFT's. We'd already started doing pistol hunters IIRC and several clubs had introduced "dump" shoots which were shot over shorter distances using very small kill zones and with lots of rubbish in the way like shopping trolleys, BBQ grates, wheel rims and just about anything that could impede the flight of a pellet.

The concept was a amalgamation of HFT, the dump shoot and the gamble shoots we ran. Most of the ideas were Johns but I think I was responsible for suggesting the kill zone was the same colour as the plate and for using different colours such as camo. We actually put a TAG on as a demo shoot alongside a round of the UKAHFT which receive mixed reviews, the less favourable ones very unfairly questioning my parentage Personally, I couldn't see anything wrong with a 70 yard shot on a 10mm kill painted dark green.

We used the no fiddle rules but dropped the pegs from each lane, instead using FT gates. The scoring system was either 1 or 2 points for the knockdown with a minus 1 for a plate or a miss. Alternatively you could elect not to take the shot and score a zero. The higher scores, usually in the minus range but sometimes as many as 6-8 were scored by those honest enough to know their own ability. I think I won one comp with a score of 2.

Put out right, a great little side shoot but it was never designed to be a challenge to HFT or FT.

Clubs and shooters coming up with new ideas and challenges are what helps keep the sport alive and long may it continue.

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

Quote Originally Posted by Prone Shooter View Post
    John Milewski and I were chatting over a pint (or two) many years back and discussing what different comps could be put on other than the usual FT and HFT's. We'd already started doing pistol hunters IIRC and several clubs had introduced "dump" shoots which were shot over shorter distances using very small kill zones and with lots of rubbish in the way like shopping trolleys, BBQ grates, wheel rims and just about anything that could impede the flight of a pellet.

The concept was a amalgamation of HFT, the dump shoot and the gamble shoots we ran. Most of the ideas were Johns but I think I was responsible for suggesting the kill zone was the same colour as the plate and for using different colours such as camo. We actually put a TAG on as a demo shoot alongside a round of the UKAHFT which receive mixed reviews, the less favourable ones very unfairly questioning my parentage Personally, I couldn't see anything wrong with a 70 yard shot on a 10mm kill painted dark green.

We used the no fiddle rules but dropped the pegs from each lane, instead using FT gates. The scoring system was either 1 or 2 points for the knockdown with a minus 1 for a plate or a miss. Alternatively you could elect not to take the shot and score a zero. The higher scores, usually in the minus range but sometimes as many as 6-8 were scored by those honest enough to know their own ability. I think I won one comp with a score of 2.

Put out right, a great little side shoot but it was never designed to be a challenge to HFT or FT.

Clubs and shooters coming up with new ideas and challenges are what helps keep the sport alive and long may it continue.

Bob
    My Basingstoke TAG 1st place trophy was earned by knowing when to elect to shoot and when to jib
    Happy days
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Funnily enough, I was reading through the above posts and thinking, "wonder if I can find that old video of Rob and the Nomads?".

Any older Graham and that would have been in black and white Circa 1993/4 IIRC.

That rat in the ditch by your feet was a common placed target back then. I remember one at Buccaneers which was literally, 2 yards in front of the barrel, not quite enough to poke it down using the barrel

As said, a diversion from "true" FT to help level the playing field. Great days they were

Bob
    ....and funnily enough, I posted the link for your benefit, Bob

PS: have you looked at that poorly box o' tricks for me yet?

All lies matter

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    ... if anyone on an internet site suggests anything that may improve things, you must chant the HFT prayer over and over until the upstart is shouted down ... " If it aint broke ... why try and fix it ... If it aint broke ... why try and fix it ".
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzer View Post
    HFT isn't broke so why "fix it".
    Ta-dah!

Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    ....and funnily enough, I posted the link for your benefit, Bob

PS: have you looked at that poorly box o' tricks for me yet?
    PM on way.

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    Ta-dah!

Ha ha ha.
    Brilliant

All lies matter

Quote Originally Posted by rogb View Post
    "their"

As has been stated, it's not hunting, it's target shooting and most HFTers know that.
    Learning range-finding and wind-judging, though, from various positions would surely help any hunter.

The rules are different around the country but the main rule set from UKAHFT has been tweaked through the years to reflect the current wishes, technical standards, styles and practices of those who shoot it.

Shooting metal plates with holes = no need to be chivalrous, but nice *&^%$* try.
    HFT rules were set long before UKAHFT appeared. Everybody thinks that ukahft started hft, they didn't.
    Gives my pellets wings

Quote Originally Posted by REDBULL View Post
    HFT rules were set long before UKAHFT appeared. Everybody thinks that ukahft started hft, they didn't.
    This is very true

Bob

BARPC

Yep but the rules have been tweaked as and when needed, Pete Sparkes et al started proper HFT off, guess who's running UKAHFT and whose rules most clubs run their shoots conform to.

Go on then, give us the full history lesson, starting before Total Pest Control which preceded UKAHFT , what were the rules used and series that people shot?

Quote Originally Posted by rogb View Post
    Go on then, give us the full history lesson, starting before Total Pest Control which preceded UKAHFT , what were the rules used and series that people shot?
    Quite a lot of airgun history is lost. But CSFTA have been running HFT comps since the mid 90's. Barpc came up with a lot of rules before it spread across the region.

http://www.barpc.org.uk/history.htm

Clubs in the region shoot to both sets of rules. CSFTA in the Winter League, and UKAHFT in the Southern Hunters and national series.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Quite a lot of airgun history is lost. But CSFTA have been running HFT comps since the mid 90's. Barpc came up with a lot of rules before it spread across the region.

Clubs in the region shoot to both sets of rules. CSFTA in the Winter League, and UKAHFT in the Southern Hunters and national series.
    Quite so Rob, CSFTA / BARPC Hunter has been around a long time, that is true!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Our club puts on some events now and then with several disciplines to shoot, and your version with a penalty for a faceplate is adopted into what we call Humane HFT. We deliberately portray it as a simulated hunting environment, just for that event.

It's quite a challenge for some regular HFT shooters to decide actually not to take the shot if they are not confident of a knock down.

In the end it's just another take on a target shooting sport.
    Sensible, and Pragmatic
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

This is very true

Bob
    When was that Nomads film shot? Any idea Bob?

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post

I've got an old flyer somewhere from about 1995 for one of our 1st HFT's which was held alongside an FT during what was then the Nockover Classic shoot, the predecessor to the Easter Bunny Bash.

The initial rules (as per Rob's in the video) were...

No fiddling with gun or scope.
    You must touch the peg with part of your body.
    No sitting.
    Targets no further than 45 yards.

That was it, nice and simple. The rules stayed pretty much the same for a few years and the CSFTA winter HFT used these until around 1999/2000 when John and Josie took on the reigns of running the winter league and tweaked then to take out certain ambiguities such as targets closer than 7 yards and setting kill zone sizes. It was still refreshingly simple and no one cleared any courses back then.

This was mainly due to the course setters designing courses where you had to work for a target. No cleared lanes of foliage, targets in obscure places, the pegs away from line of sight so you had to shoot "off-hand" rather than resting on a peg, in short, pretty rough shooting. We didn't worry about whether you could take your glasses off for one shot but not the next. You were either a good shot or crap. You had a good day you won the prizes, a bad or normal day and you'd laugh it off in the pub afterwards. Most folks had simple rifles and 3-9X scopes. S300's and early Daystates were dominant with a scattering or Prosports and Shamals not forgetting all sorts of springers.

If someone moved off a peg, you'd just kick their boot back on to it with some appropriate comment and not call foul after the shot had been taken and insist the card was marked down.

Everyone could walk the course before shooting and discuss how they might take the shot. Banter was legendary and no one ever died, argued or fell out because of the rules. It was just a bunch of like minded people having a good day out. I'm not saying it's any different today because I no long shoot comps but it may be rose tinted glasses, but I preferred the "old" days.

At BARPC, we still use the old format as much as possible and don't shoot UKAHFT. All targets are between 7-45 yards "apart from those that aren't" to quote Gary C.

Bob

BARPC