Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All metal internals vs as much plastic you can get in a springer

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

All metal internals vs as much plastic you can get in a springer

There is no question that out of the box springers that have plastic piston rings, guides,sleeves, and plastic linkage guides seem like tuned guns compared with springers without plastic, but does this mean they are better quality or is it a shortcut to cut cost.

The TX and the PS have factory plastic piston rings but has a metal guide, the LGV and LGU has plastic rings,guide and linkage guides. I'm not saying that this doesn't work because it does but it would also probably work on a B2.

Does anyone think that all metal Precision parts that weren't consumables and hand finished would be considered higher quality and didn't hide imperfections like the plastic does. Precision metal parts can be just as smooth and with less friction

Some of the plastic internal guns still need hand finishing. TX top LGV bottom. Just wondering if any of you guys like metal internals better than plastic

To be honest if the all metal parts were finished better them maybe, yes. But as the vast majority of my rifles have all been stripped down and parts replaced with plastic or delrin, then at the moment I would say plastic. To reduce the boing and clatter I always use non metal spring guides, power washers and even piston sleeves.
    I have yet to see the perfect Springer from the factory in all metal.
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

I shoot HW and AA springers that kick hard and twang loudly!

I’ve considered replacing the metal internals with plastic, but can’t bring myself to do it.

Nothing scientific about my decision, it’s because I grew up in the 70’s and 80’s with HW35’s and HW80’s, so I’m stuck in my traditionalist ways.

A springer that twangs, is a horrible beast for sure. I shoot AA and HW springers, all have had replacement delrin guides and all the better for it.

Growing up in the 70/80,s is no excuse
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

All of my nicely tuned springers have V-Mach synthetic guides and top hats= no twang.
    My Fwb sport has a metal rear guide and top hat =no twang. If there the right size and fit both will do the job.
    Les.

I just chuck loads of grease in & cross my fingers.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    All of my nicely tuned springers have V-Mach synthetic guides and top hats= no twang.
    My Fwb sport has a metal rear guide and top hat =no twang. If there the right size and fit both will do the job.
    Les.
    I have a vmach one piece steel guide in my TX, it looks real quality and should last the lifetime of the gun

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    A springer that twangs, is a horrible beast for sure. I shoot AA and HW springers, all have had replacement delrin guides and all the better for it.

Growing up in the 70/80,s is no excuse
    I’m deservedly rebuked and shamed

Is the answer “Diana 460”?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Is the answer “Diana 460”?

ow come on, don't ruin the punchline
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    There is no question that out of the box springers that have plastic piston rings, guides,sleeves, and plastic linkage guides seem like tuned guns compared with springers without plastic, but does this mean they are better quality or is it a shortcut to cut cost.

The precise machining of Piston grooves to fit Delrin bearings is naturally more time consuming and costs more than lower quality products relying on steel on steel contact

The TX and the PS have factory plastic piston rings but has a metal guide, the LGV and LGU has plastic rings,guide and linkage guides. I'm not saying that this doesn't work because it does but it would also probably work on a B2.

Of course bearings would work on a B2 the big problem is that the cost of manufacture would increase dramatically

Does anyone think that all metal Precision parts that weren't consumables and hand finished would be considered higher quality and didn't hide imperfections like the plastic does.

Precision metal parts can be just as smooth and with less friction

No they can't, Delrin on steel has a lower coefficient of friction than steel on steel :-

image.gif

Some of the plastic internal guns still need hand finishing. TX top LGV bottom. Just wondering if any of you guys like metal internals better than plastic
    Nope

Here's a picture of two German Pistons for you :-

image.jpg

The piston on the left is a well designed and precisely machined quality product having Delrin bearings giving low coefficient of friction which also act to cut down on piston resonance.

The piston on the right is a piece of shit from Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Nope

Here's a picture of two German Pistons for you :-

image.jpg

The piston on the left is a well designed and precisely machined quality product having Delrin bearings giving low coefficient of friction which also act to cut down on piston resonance.

The piston on the right is a piece of shit from Diana.
    Pmsl and I like my Dianas

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    [IMG][/IMG]
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    You can laugh all you want now, Nick, but he lives nearer to you than me.

You won't be laughing when he's knocking on your door on a Sunday morning, trying to sell you a Werktower --- he's a Diana's Witness.

OK.......

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    You can laugh all you want now, Nick, but he lives nearer to you than me.

You won't be laughing when he's knocking on your door on a Sunday morning, trying to sell you a Werktower --- he's a Diana's Witness.

C',mon its a long time since I've done "ϻ"
    so what is the difference in ϻs or ϻk ????????
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!