I first used the Hobbies (and its slightly more expensive stablemate, the Diablo) back in about 1978 when I got my first Weihrauch. I had previously used Wasps and Pylarms in my BSAs but wanted to use the smaller 5.5mm German pellets. This entailed train journeys to Sheffield as I wasn't old enough to drive.

I have continued using the Hobbies to this day. But since the arrival of the Superdome, FTTs and JSB stuff, I just used the Hobbies for short range informal target shooting in recent times. Bit daft really as they, and the Diablo, were used to good effect in that old HW35 back then, with quarry cleanly taken at up to 35 yards. Including "bulletproof" corvids. And also in a Mercury for short range ratting. But you get conditioned to using the newer alternatives, don't you?

Well, that's changing now and recent events have made me see the humble Hobby in a new light.

Firstly, a couple of weeks or so ago at The Boinger Bash. I had a few shots with Bad Daz's .22 HW with the Hobbies and they weren't half thwacking those spinners around at about 35 yards. I then later discovered that Daz had been happily taking out the little duck targets out at 75 yards plus on the Saturday. Not bad for a budget priced flat head, eh?

Then yesterday......a few days ago I'd shortened the spring on my Supersport as it was a bit close for comfort. I'd only tested with Superdomes. After the detuning it was doing 10.8 with 'Domes. Yesterday I got the chance to test with more pellets, choosing the JSB Jumbo RS at 13.4 grains and The Hobby at 11.9. The 'Domes are quite a tight fit. I was expecting a higher power output with the RS. Especially after seeing what a lovely fit they are. Result? 628 fps and 11.8. And less than 2fps variation.

Then the Hobbies. Now, although lighter, these were a tight fit. So I was expecting the output to be lower than the RS. Nope.....670fps and 11.8+. Blimey! So maintaining the old advice to always check a springer with the Hobby. Not one shot over and, as it's not bedding in a new seal, hopefully not going to rise. I'll keep my eye on it.

And accurate, too. Down the garden, admittedly close range, all groups were nice and tight and when I really, really worked for it, the best group was 7mm edge to edge!. Can't wait to try them at longer range. But going by how good they were yesterday and also with how well they were working for Daz at long range, I'm very hopeful.

I've said for years how good a ratting pellet they are, having had lots of them in the past with the Hobby. And recent events make me vindicate them even more. Higher velocity than many pellets in many guns, so they'll fly quite flat at closer ranges, and then the flat head design and soft construction reduces overpenetration. So, most useful in a barn / farmyard application. But, surely, once aimpoints mastered, awesome out in the ooen if your gun likes them.

I'm glad to have "rediscovered" them and will be testing them in many of my guns in the future.