Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hail the RWS Hobby!

Cool Hail the RWS Hobby!

I first used the Hobbies (and its slightly more expensive stablemate, the Diablo) back in about 1978 when I got my first Weihrauch. I had previously used Wasps and Pylarms in my BSAs but wanted to use the smaller 5.5mm German pellets. This entailed train journeys to Sheffield as I wasn't old enough to drive.

I have continued using the Hobbies to this day. But since the arrival of the Superdome, FTTs and JSB stuff, I just used the Hobbies for short range informal target shooting in recent times. Bit daft really as they, and the Diablo, were used to good effect in that old HW35 back then, with quarry cleanly taken at up to 35 yards. Including "bulletproof" corvids. And also in a Mercury for short range ratting. But you get conditioned to using the newer alternatives, don't you?

Well, that's changing now and recent events have made me see the humble Hobby in a new light.

Firstly, a couple of weeks or so ago at The Boinger Bash. I had a few shots with Bad Daz's .22 HW with the Hobbies and they weren't half thwacking those spinners around at about 35 yards. I then later discovered that Daz had been happily taking out the little duck targets out at 75 yards plus on the Saturday. Not bad for a budget priced flat head, eh?

Then yesterday......a few days ago I'd shortened the spring on my Supersport as it was a bit close for comfort. I'd only tested with Superdomes. After the detuning it was doing 10.8 with 'Domes. Yesterday I got the chance to test with more pellets, choosing the JSB Jumbo RS at 13.4 grains and The Hobby at 11.9. The 'Domes are quite a tight fit. I was expecting a higher power output with the RS. Especially after seeing what a lovely fit they are. Result? 628 fps and 11.8. And less than 2fps variation.

Then the Hobbies. Now, although lighter, these were a tight fit. So I was expecting the output to be lower than the RS. Nope.....670fps and 11.8+. Blimey! So maintaining the old advice to always check a springer with the Hobby. Not one shot over and, as it's not bedding in a new seal, hopefully not going to rise. I'll keep my eye on it.

And accurate, too. Down the garden, admittedly close range, all groups were nice and tight and when I really, really worked for it, the best group was 7mm edge to edge!. Can't wait to try them at longer range. But going by how good they were yesterday and also with how well they were working for Daz at long range, I'm very hopeful.

I've said for years how good a ratting pellet they are, having had lots of them in the past with the Hobby. And recent events make me vindicate them even more. Higher velocity than many pellets in many guns, so they'll fly quite flat at closer ranges, and then the flat head design and soft construction reduces overpenetration. So, most useful in a barn / farmyard application. But, surely, once aimpoints mastered, awesome out in the ooen if your gun likes them.

I'm glad to have "rediscovered" them and will be testing them in many of my guns in the future.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    They fly fast like the bird of prey they share a name with, they hit hard and are very accurate in a lot of barrels. And they use less lead, so easy on the resources.

All in all a great thing, a combination of inexpensiveness and quality.

Very nicely put, young Alistair.

And with much less waffle!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Hobbies.

I brought 9 tins NOS a few months ago. These were from the late 80's and I sold a tin to BadDaz to try. They don't make them like that anymore. Mach 1.5

I use Hobbys in my .22 hw30. Clover leafing at 25 yards and reasonable fpe, very nice...

In my limited experience of over 35 years shooting and what must be (I don’t like to think) over 100 air guns, I have never had a gun that shot badly with Hobbys. Everything has shot them at least acceptably, many really well.

I don’t approve of the ribbed design (induces drag, surely?) but they are good pellets at a good price. It frustrates me to see shooters buy slightly cheaper (Gamo, BSA, etc) makes, saving pennies but getting much worse performance.

And, yes, despite what many people think, a good flat head that leaves the barrel carrying 11 ft-lbs is still effective at 25-30 metres on quarry. Personally, I preferred a good dome when I’be done bit of light pest control, but the idea many have that wadcutters are useless on quarry beyond spitting distance is flat wrong.

Next similar thread: Gecos? They are pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    I brought 9 tins NOS a few months ago. These were from the late 80's and I sold a tin to BadDaz to try. They don't make them like that anymore. Mach 1.5
    Daz gave me a tin, Paul, and they're the ones I used yesterday.

Will test with the later ones when I get the chance. Hopefully they'll be just as impressive.

Hobbies.

Old School classic. Mach 1.5

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Yes, great pellets if you keep to 35 yards. Go well in a lot of guns, and the price is a bonus.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    It frustrates me to see shooters buy slightly cheaper (Gamo, BSA, etc) makes, saving pennies but getting much worse performance.
    Those are the shooters that generally don't work on becoming better shots, typically looking at how close a shot has fallen to the aim point rather than at the dispersion of the group. So it doesn't matter what they shove up the barrel.

Hobby Pellets

Now all we need is a.25 hobby pellet.

I love them for plinking with my HW45 in .22. Super accurate and great tin mashing properties.

Since first buying them all those years ago I've never been without them, Mike.
    Firstly for general use and hunting.
    Then short range ratting.
    In more recent times, as per first post, I've just used them in my pistols and lower powered stuff down the hallway and in the garden. And my 45 loves 'em, too.
    But give them a try in your higher powered springers at longer range - you might be in for a very pleasant surprise.

Interesting, i wanted a wadcutter for target shooting, & my 30(now sold)liked hobby's as did my 40, then i tried them in my 80(all 177 by the way)they were accurate, but on the chrono they were giving 2ftlb less than the aa wadcutters.

Always found them good in my Hw80&95 in .22 but for some reason, they don't seem to work in my A/A pcps and my 95 .177 doesn't like them either