Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hail the RWS Hobby!

But have you tried RWS Basics? Nearly a pound a tin cheaper that Hobby (£3.945 compared to £4.75 approx) and very popular up at Rivi and Rochdale with the pistol shooting lads. Ive scored many a 50 ex 50 with these.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Got to agree that the Hobby is a good pellet. I keep the distance short when I use them but after reading this I might be brave & try them further out.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Welcome to the Hobby club!

After recently getting my .22 80 restocked into something very very slinky and special I decided to go back to the start and try an array of pellets. I stayed away from pellets I knew that worked until the end and just tried everything I could.

Bisley Practice grouped very well, as did H&N FTT. Accupells and JSB Diablos were tripe. Superdomes were predictably good. But the best of the lot: RWS Hobbys.

They zip out of the barrel at a terrific speed and slam the plates hard. Virtually no hold over out to 30m. Had my best ever haul out hunting using Hobbys and this 80 so no surprise really. I'd be a fool to pay twice as much for pellets.

Group was shot at 25m, artillery hold with a 4x40 Tasco on top.

Pics:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rexB6gqsjXtJaB7u5

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post

After recently getting my .22 80 restocked into something very very slinky and special I decided to go back to the start and try an array of pellets. I stayed away from pellets I knew that worked until the end and just tried everything I could.

Bisley Practice grouped very well, as did H&N FTT. Accupells and JSB Diablos were tripe. Superdomes were predictably good. But the best of the lot: RWS Hobbys.

They zip out of the barrel at a terrific speed and slam the plates hard. Virtually no hold over out to 30m. Had my best ever haul out hunting using Hobbys and this 80 so no surprise really. I'd be a fool to pay twice as much for pellets.

Pics:

Very nice, and a great group for off hand shooting. When I was about 13 I got a mk1 HW80 and fitted a Tasco FM 4 x 40 scope on it, shot very well with superpoints believe it or not! Later I got a HW35 Luxus (monte-carlo stock) I used RWS Diabolo a lot in this gun to great effect.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Very nice, and a great group for off hand shooting. When I was about 13 I got a mk1 HW80 and fitted a Tasco FM 4 x 40 scope on it, shot very well with superpoints believe it or not! Later I got a HW35 Luxus (monte-carlo stock) I used RWS Diabolo a lot in this gun to great effect.
    Thank you! I do think the 80 and the Tasco 4x40 are at one. Much like the 77 and the equivalent 2-7x32. They just seem to be very comfortable with each other!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Thank you! I do think the 80 and the Tasco 4x40 are at one. Much like the 77 and the equivalent 2-7x32. They just seem to be very comfortable with each other!
    I have this set-up. Shot some 12mm groups at 30 yards at the weekend. Need to sort the trigger, the groups should tighten up. Nice, well balanced combo.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    But have you tried RWS Basics? Nearly a pound a tin cheaper that Hobby (£3.945 compared to £4.75 approx) and very popular up at Rivi and Rochdale with the pistol shooting lads. Ive scored many a 50 ex 50 with these.

ATB
    Ian
    I've never tried the Basics, Ian.

But I have tried the Geco. First impressions on opening the tin were very positive. Very nice and shiny. Used them in my HW40 and 70. Accuracy seemed okay, but the sizes seemed very inconsistent and quite a lot of swarf in the tin. Will give them another go soon as I have half a tin left.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Pics:

Nice little read and some very good shooting there, sir.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellycrawler View Post
    Got to agree that the Hobby is a good pellet. I keep the distance short when I use them but after reading this I might be brave & try them further out.
    Yep, give them a go; you might be very pleasantly surprised.

Certainly couldn't disagree with that. My Venom Mark I '80 wears a 4x40 Tasco. And my Vantage '77 the 2-7x32 Tasco.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I've never tried the Basics, Ian.

But I have tried the Geco. First impressions on opening the tin were very positive. Very nice and shiny. Used them in my HW40 and 70. Accuracy seemed okay, but the sizes seemed very inconsistent and quite a lot of swarf in the tin. Will give them another go soon as I have half a tin left.
    Geco or Basics? I put my Basics through a sizer, as most local club members do, but our best pistol shooters, Steve Wright, has done a comparison between the sized and unsized and has found no benefit in the sized.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I use Hobbies in my match pistols and have not noticed any difference in accuracy between it and match pellets costing twice the price.
    in fact all my .177 pistols like Hobbies, the only exception being the IZH 53m, that is now on Bisley Practice.