Thread: Bluing... how was it done... how is it done today...

Bluing... how was it done... how is it done today...

Chaps. How did the likes of Webley blue their guns in say the 20’s, 30’s, 40’s, 50’s etc up to current day? I know hot bluing/blacking? salt baths are today’s method, but how was it done in the early / mid and late 20th century? Same method? When was the use of bluing salts and hot baths introduced?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post
    Chaps. How did the likes of Webley blue their guns in say the 20’s, 30’s, 40’s, 50’s etc up to current day? I know hot bluing/blacking? salt baths are today’s method, but how was it done in the early / mid and late 20th century? Same method? When was the use of bluing salts and hot baths introduced?
    As far as I am aware Webley used the same method of hot blueing all the way through, although the earlier 20's air pistols seem to have more of a blue to the finish than the later blacked pistols and rifles, which, presumably, is down to the different salts used.

Have a read here

It’s a complex subject but most of this is good information

http://www.rustbluing.com/files/rustbluing_web.docx
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

I only have post-war webleys, but I'm pretty sure they are all hot caustic blued.
    What gives them the great finish is probably time spent by experienced polishers before the bluing process.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    I only have post-war webleys, but I'm pretty sure they are all hot caustic blued.
    What gives them the great finish is probably time spent by experienced polishers before the bluing process.
    I agree, they say with Colt firearms it was the fine polish that made them blue great.