Thread: Coming Auction in the US has some real rarities?

Coming Auction in the US has some real rarities?

You don’t see this in the US everyday.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/ca...#LotNumber3328

I suspect you don't see a selection like that anywhere very often. Of them all only the Giffard's appeal to me (but not my wallet).
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

There are some fantastically desirable antique air rifles and pistols there IMO.I hope you'll be buying many and posting your usual great pics and reviews in due course!

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    There are some fantastically desirable antique air rifles and pistols there IMO.I hope you'll be buying many and posting your usual great pics and reviews in due course!
    Way out of my price ranges!

Oh dear........

makes me feel quite dizzy.

I paid around the top end of the estimates for a Parker and Certus in better condition than those listed here in the UK some time ago, so not too far away from our own realised prices for these particular pistols anyway. The estimate for the pair of Westley Richards Highest Possible pistols also seems very reasonable for the UK if the figures quoted prove to be realistic

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 16-11-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Tasty auction items

It's my bet that all if not most come from the same collection.

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeon View Post
    It's my bet that all if not most come from the same collection.
    Yes, the airgun lots come from the superb collection of the late Ingvar Alm, who passed away last January. He was a really great collector and a nice guy, one of the old school who had no truck with such gimicky concepts as the internet and emails. This made exchanging photo's of guns with him somewhat slow, but nevertheless he was a great help in researches for my book. The auction is just part 1 of his collection, and the rest will follow at some unspecified future date. The second part is likely to contain more affordable items, which still doesn't help us collectors much in the UK given the near impossibility of gettting airguns shipped from the USA these days. We will just have to watch and drool.

Some specific items to look out for next time would be various Haviland and Gunn pistols, a mint long barrel Haenel 28, and a selection of Lincoln Jeffriies pistols, including an extended cylinder Lincoln, a small backstrap cocking pistol, and a magnificent nickelled large backstrap cocker.
    Last edited by ccdjg; 16-11-2018 at 05:15 PM.

For good or bad this auction house is probably the best known in the US for high end firearms. So even though I can buy these guns you can be assured that the top dollar will have to be paid. But it should be interesting to dream. Lol.

By coincidence, I was daydreaming of owning my own fully operational Girandoni rifle today. Lovely!
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

If you want to view these mouthwatering pics more easily, I've posted them here with the permission of the auction house. Oh, to be rich!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Just looking back at this selection, the time span is interesting - it covers at least two centuries and, apart from the Webley pistols, stops in the early 20th century.

To me that underlines how Webley carried on a long tradition of fine airgun-making right into the 1960s, with the only real concession to economy that I can see being the non-wood moulded grips.

Mr Alm seems to have recognised that continuity, whereas the Myron Kasok collection, also sold by Rock Island in 2003, seems to have concentrated only on 20th century airguns, plus a wide range of firearms. Both were rich men but their interests were quite different and hardly overlapped.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Just looking back at this selection, the time span is interesting - it covers at least two centuries and, apart from the Webley pistols, stops in the early 20th century.

To me that underlines how Webley carried on a long tradition of fine airgun-making right into the 1960s, with the only real concession to economy that I can see being the non-wood moulded grips.

Mr Alm seems to have recognised that continuity, whereas the Myron Kasok collection, also sold by Rock Island in 2003, seems to have concentrated only on 20th century airguns, plus a wide range of firearms. Both were rich men but their interests were quite different and hardly overlapped.
    Something tells me that I doubt there is going to be a Hy-score in this collection. It’s a 8 hour drive for me to go to the auction but pretty unique opportunity to see and possibly handle some real historic guns. How many here have handled a real Girandoni?

Really good point that his appreciation for Webley is telling.
    Last edited by 45flint; 16-11-2018 at 06:23 PM.

If you want to view these mouthwatering pics more easily, I've posted them here with the permission of the auction house. Oh, to be rich!
    Well done Danny - what a great collection

Now where's my passport

Hi Danny,

May I add my own thanks for your efforts in re hosting the superb pictures of this great collection.

Interesting foresight modifications to the Webley air pistols by the way.

Brian