Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Airmasters Tune information.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    To put prices into context. July 1987 I visited Airmasters to be measured for my Hw77 FTS stock following John Avons article in the Airgunner "made to measure" To me it was the ultimate stock for the HW. Anyway i parted with £225 that day for a made to measure french walnut thing of beauty. I'll never forget that trip to Luton. I was like a kid in a sweet shop...well airgun shop!! Mach 1.5
    As you know Paul the FTS made for John Avon is the FTS I own and you’ve tried

Fts

Yes I have tried that rifle. Stock fits me like a glove. Mach 1.5

To put prices into context. July 1987 I visited Airmasters to be measured for my Hw77 FTS stock following John Avons article in the Airgunner "made to measure" To me it was the ultimate stock for the HW. Anyway i parted with £225 that day for a made to measure french walnut thing of beauty. I'll never forget that trip to Luton. I was like a kid in a sweet shop...well airgun shop!! Mach 1.5
    I also had a stock made for my FWB, it was stunning, think I paid the same or perhaps £250 but what really struck me was how genuinely interested they were in what I wanted on the stock
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Yes would be the stocks. Even the venom boys acknowledged that the Airmaster boys could tune a feinwerkbau sport better than them. Mach 1.5
    Want to tease us with some pics ?
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Paul here is an Airmasters FWB Sport piston mod:

Pics of the rifle here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....rts/#post-1572
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

£30 (basic tune) in 1986 would be around £85 now, adjusted for inflation.

£225 in 1986 would equate to about £630 now.

Airmasters

Thanks Guys for pics and info. Soaking it up like a sponge. Regards Mach 1.5

Thanks Guys for pics and info. Soaking it up like a sponge. Regards Mach 1.5
    A potted history of Airmasters for those interested.

Airmasters was started by my father John Welham and his brother Dave.

Frustrated with the hopelessly unreliable targets we were shooting in the early days of field target my dad decided to design a target that was as close to 100% reliable as possible. The consequence of this was the company ‘Knok Down Targets’ formed in 1982. These they made together in my dad’s garage until Webley showed an interest and Dave then found a CNC producer to make them.

We were quite successful at Field Target, and it was not long before Dave was taking on tuning work. This led to the development of the Mastersport at the end of 83. Dave did all the tuning work on the FWBs and he was fantastic at it.

Dave developed a silencer, the alloy ‘Phantom’ and with the targets selling reasonably regularly through Webley they took the plunge and decided to go full time, this was at the end of 84.

They found premises in Hibbert Street in Luton and me and my Dad fitted it out in March 85 opening in May 85, Airmasters was born.

By this time Dave was fully focussed on manufacturing accessories. Trigger shoes, steel silencers, trigger guards, cocking aids and finally scope mounts. I had just finished a City and Guilds engineering course so was in an ideal position to take over the mechanical work on our custom guns.

My father, John, was the stocker, in my opinion he was the most innovative, and technically the best that there’s been. I took over the mechanical side of producing custom rifles in April ’85, finishing in January ’89. By 85 most of the work required was on 77s, so practically all the custom 77s we produced were made by myself and my dad which is a really nice thing. The shop was closed and Airmasters wound up in 1990. Essentially, we just didn’t make enough money.

The three of us put everything into our work, perhaps too much sometimes, sweating the details beyond what was really necessary at times. But we did get some nice results.

‘Stalker’ was our designation for anything ‘sporting’ with a shortened barrel. So you can add ‘Stalker’ to any of the break barrels.

We made all sorts of one offs, but in addition to Mach’s comprehensive list I can add the following that were offered on general sale.

We made one Original 45 Stalker, I would love to find that, it was beautiful. Several Vulcan and Victor Stalkers and at least one Mastersport Tyro 335.

There were also the AA Shamal FTS, FTX and FTXS

Also the Genesis FTX.

And the wonderful 77 RTS.

Cheers,

Richard

Airmasters.

Just wonderful. John was a true gent when I visited for my FTS stock. If I lived in Luton I would have been in the shop ever weekend but venom was on my doorstep so those guys had my business. We was so blessed in the 80's with such great tuning companies. Old saying....don't know what you've got till it's gone. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    A potted history of Airmasters for those interested.

Airmasters was started by my father John Welham and his brother Dave.

Frustrated with the hopelessly unreliable targets we were shooting in the early days of field target my dad decided to design a target that was as close to 100% reliable as possible. The consequence of this was the company ‘Knok Down Targets’ formed in 1982. These they made together in my dad’s garage until Webley showed an interest and Dave then found a CNC producer to make them.

We were quite successful at Field Target, and it was not long before Dave was taking on tuning work. This led to the development of the Mastersport at the end of 83. Dave did all the tuning work on the FWBs and he was fantastic at it.

Dave developed a silencer, the alloy ‘Phantom’ and with the targets selling reasonably regularly through Webley they took the plunge and decided to go full time, this was at the end of 84.

They found premises in Hibbert Street in Luton and me and my Dad fitted it out in March 85 opening in May 85, Airmasters was born.

By this time Dave was fully focussed on manufacturing accessories. Trigger shoes, steel silencers, trigger guards, cocking aids and finally scope mounts. I had just finished a City and Guilds engineering course so was in an ideal position to take over the mechanical work on our custom guns.

My father, John, was the stocker, in my opinion he was the most innovative, and technically the best that there’s been. I took over the mechanical side of producing custom rifles in April ’85, finishing in January ’89. By 85 most of the work required was on 77s, so practically all the custom 77s we produced were made by myself and my dad which is a really nice thing. The shop was closed and Airmasters wound up in 1990. Essentially, we just didn’t make enough money.

The three of us put everything into our work, perhaps too much sometimes, sweating the details beyond what was really necessary at times. But we did get some nice results.

‘Stalker’ was our designation for anything ‘sporting’ with a shortened barrel. So you can add ‘Stalker’ to any of the break barrels.

We made all sorts of one offs, but in addition to Mach’s comprehensive list I can add the following that were offered on general sale.

We made one Original 45 Stalker, I would love to find that, it was beautiful. Several Vulcan and Victor Stalkers and at least one Mastersport Tyro 335.

There were also the AA Shamal FTS, FTX and FTXS

Also the Genesis FTX.

And the wonderful 77 RTS.

Cheers,

Richard
    Thanks for this Richard, a true blast from the past

Your Dad tuned a FWB 124 for me and it was a cracking rilfe, stock was stunning, sadly I wish I'd had a 127 done as I couldn't get on with .177 and it got moved on but the workmanship was fantastic

Many thanks Richard-always fascinating to hear the tale from the horses mouth.
    I agree with your opinion of your Dad's stock making, truly innovative.
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Airmasters

Brought a NOS airmasters t-shirt off John a few years ago now. Still got it. Dave Popes face was a picture when he saw me wearing it...good old days. Mach 1.5

Just wonderful. John was a true gent when I visited for my FTS stock. If I lived in Luton I would have been in the shop ever weekend but venom was on my doorstep so those guys had my business. We was so blessed in the 80's with such great tuning companies. Old saying....don't know what you've got till it's gone. Mach 1.5
    Absolutely, Paul.

And thank you, Richard, for that most interesting history and insight.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Truly some superb examples of the airgun masters art. Absolutely stunning. I only wish I could have afforded one back in those days. Particularly the "Mastersport"
    FWB 124. As has been stated, the top tuned springers of the time are all more than capable of living with anything available now. Fantastic!
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

I am really intrigued by these rifles.

Some more photos would be fantastic.
    Some V-glide 80's, V-glide Tomahawk and a couple of Rapids