Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: These new UKAHFT rules

There's no official reason, we like to try things in the off season to see if we can improve the rules and competition. We ask clubs to try them out and give us feedback.

We stated that the 25mm were coming back to 35 yards, but we had loads of people say they should stay out at 40, so we listened and this amendment was scrapped.

We are listening to the feedback about the 30mm and a decision will be made in the new year.

Hope this helps

Gary
    HFT Team England 2012 - 2013
    Incompetent writer for Airgunner
    UKAHFT, World and SiHFT Recoiling champ 2017

As Gary says we are taking the feedback, the initial changes are also based on suggestions and requests from UKAHFT clubs around the UK.
    OAKS - SIHFT Winners 2011, [SIZE=4][COLOR="#FF0000"] 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2015, 2023

Unhappy Only 3 up the pegs shots

It's bad enough that many years ago UKAHFT decided to allow resting your gun on the floor because they couldn't police it, but now to suggest a rule change of limiting "up the peg shots to a maximum of three" horrifies me. The idea of having 21 shots that you can rest your gun on the floor, range find by parralax error and smack the trigger with your eyes closed and still hit the targets because the gun is stable will ruin hft and force everyone to range find by parralax error as the main method. The only skill left for these 21 shots will be reading the wind. Leaving best of nine skilled shots (6 positionals plus three up the peg shots)
    .22 Winner 2014 World HFT Championships (S400)
    Recoiling Winner 2017 World HFT Campionships (HW97k)
    HFT England team 2018, 2019, 2020 (Rhino enhanced HFT500)

Do I take it your personal feedback is don't limit the number of up the peg?
    Feedback is all we are asking for.....
    OAKS - SIHFT Winners 2011, [SIZE=4][COLOR="#FF0000"] 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2015, 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Charles44 View Post
    Do I take it your personal feedback is don't limit the number of up the peg?
    Feedback is all we are asking for.....
    Yes, don’t limit the number of up the peg shots, as I feel it will ruin the sport. Plus don’t even define and count the number up the peg shots as I feel this is just making it more difficult for volunteers to set club shoots to monthly UKAHFT rules and asking then to give up on UKAHFT rules and set shoots to UKAHFTish rules. Courses are set by volunteers giving up their time. Why do we need to make it more difficult for them.
    Also if a shoot has accidently set up six “up the peg shots” and not realised until after shooters have started the comp, would all six targets be pulled? I doubt it - not managable in my opinion.

Not trying to be awkward, I just don’t want to see our sport go down a potentially different and possibly unintentional route.

Neil Wakelin

The need to define what an up the peg shot limit is has been driven by the occasional comp where small or junior shooters are forced to take prone shots kneeling.
    Defining an maximum barrel height can make course setting and course vetting easier.
    I take the points about limiting numbers and we will absolutely include this in the final review before finalising for 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Charles44 View Post
    The need to define what an up the peg shot limit is has been driven by the occasional comp where small or junior shooters are forced to take prone shots kneeling.
    Defining an maximum barrel height can make course setting and course vetting easier.
    I take the points about limiting numbers and we will absolutely include this in the final review before finalising for 2019
    Thanks Charles. I have no problem in the diagrams and under stand that juniors and "tugg" have shorter arms. It was just the idea of limiiting the number of up the peg shots thst would potentially take the sport in a different direction that worried me.
    Thanks for listening and responding so quickly.
    Neil

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieneilie View Post
    Thanks Charles. I have no problem in the diagrams and under stand that juniors and "tugg" have shorter arms. It was just the idea of limiiting the number of up the peg shots thst would potentially take the sport in a different direction that worried me.
    Thanks for listening and responding so quickly.
    Neil
    Well I am usually wrong but to my alcohol befuddled mind up the peg and necessitating being in the shoulder are two completely different shots. They both meet different crieteria, Neal you really strike me as someone whose life doesn't allow you to journey into mine so I am sure you need not worry.

Monkey.
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by scutter View Post
    There's no official reason, we like to try things in the off season to see if we can improve the rules and competition. We ask clubs to try them out and give us feedback.

We stated that the 25mm were coming back to 35 yards, but we had loads of people say they should stay out at 40, so we listened and this amendment was scrapped.

We are listening to the feedback about the 30mm and a decision will be made in the new year.

Hope this helps

Gary
    IMHO I would advise against putting 30mm out to 45y, course's have become long range tests (usually) as it is.
    Moving 30mm out to 45y just adds to that, it'll get to the point where not having a long range setup will put you at a disadvantage (some would say that's the case already)

Yes it's a course design issue, the course designers don't have to put most of the targets out long........ but they do, how about thinking of ways to encourage them to start increasing the amount of short range targets, actually make it so there's a negative to a long range setup.
    Air Arms MPR + GINB FT1 + VIPER 10X44
    WALTHER LGU + VIPER 10X44

Quote Originally Posted by LANKY MK View Post
    What's the official reasoning for 30mm out to 45 yards?
    In my opinion taking 30mm to 45yds is a positive. I do agree that it would be good to bring the boys with high mounts and 40yd zeros back into the pack. Personally I see 15mms as the answer. Years ago they were 8 to 25yds but because of the difficulty people said they had seeing them they were pushed back to 13yds no clue why that distance. Bring them closer watch the calculators come out and the cribb sheets become books. Needn't be 8 maybe 10. Incorporate them into pipe shots got to be a good way to even the field.

Monkey.
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by simmmo View Post
    In my opinion taking 30mm to 45yds is a positive. I do agree that it would be good to bring the boys with high mounts and 40yd zeros back into the pack. Personally I see 15mms as the answer. Years ago they were 8 to 25yds but because of the difficulty people said they had seeing them they were pushed back to 13yds no clue why that distance. Bring them closer watch the calculators come out and the cribb sheets become books. Needn't be 8 maybe 10. Incorporate them into pipe shots got to be a good way to even the field.

Monkey.
    There’s nothing stopping people shooting 40y zero and high mounts. The problem with the suggestion of allowing 15mm kills less than 13yds is that they are often not shootable/visible after half the competitors have shot at the target. This is unfair on those who shoot the target last or even in the second half of the session. This is predictsble and avoidable and the main reason that I understood that the rule was changed before.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieneilie View Post
    There’s nothing stopping people shooting 40y zero and high mounts. The problem with the suggestion of allowing 15mm kills less than 13yds is that they are often not shootable/visible after half the competitors have shot at the target. This is unfair on those who shoot the target last or even in the second half of the session. This is predictsble and avoidable and the main reason that I understood that the rule was changed before.
    From memory faceplates tended to be black back then trying them in yellow might help. I used to shoot on 7 mag back then and I could see them. You choose what mag you shoot on its a personal choice so you choose in effect what you can and can't see. Like choosing to shoot out of your shoulder or off the floor. Its a game of compromise and personal choice thats the challenge. People are just hung up on 10 mag and mildots. The whole idea of course setting is to balance the 15mm so one every five pegs so everyone gets clean and dirty ones. Trying to use 20mm won't or should I say doesn't work as the hole is too big. 15mm would I think.

Monkey.

Monkey.
    If you bring in 15mm as well as 30mm out then that would help but IMHO we are already in a situation where we need to bring targets in before even putting 30mm out.

I doubt very much 15mm will be brought in, there's been strong resistance to that idea (no need to be closer then 10y though, nefta hunters used to have them at 12 with no extra problem of people not being able to see them over 13y , also change it to 6 to 8 15mm on a course too)

As such you'll just get 30mm out and courses just getting longer.

Quote Originally Posted by LANKY MK View Post
    If you bring in 15mm as well as 30mm out then that would help but IMHO we are already in a situation where we need to bring targets in before even putting 30mm out.

I doubt very much 15mm will be brought in, there's been strong resistance to that idea (no need to be closer then 10y though, nefta hunters used to have them at 12 with no extra problem of people not being able to see them over 13y , also change it to 6 to 8 15mm on a course too)

As such you'll just get 30mm out and courses just getting longer.
    I think what a lot of people are missing is that HFT course setting is in itself a game of smoke and mirrors. 30mm especially as the no. allowed has been increased sub 40 is a great tool especially with reduced face plates. I have only set one course with 30mm out to 45yds and only one target. People missed it high go figure.

Monkey

I think what a lot of people are missing is that HFT course setting is in itself a game of smoke and mirrors. 30mm especially as the no. allowed has been increased sub 40 is a great tool especially with reduced face plates. I have only set one course with 30mm out to 45yds and only one target. People missed it high go figure.

Monkey
    I've seen plenty of 45y targets with loads of misses high, strange.

30mm are great as they are usually uncommon (people prefer to stick 25mm out instead) and catch loads out as they are not used to them, going high.

Course setting itself, especially for HFT, is hard to do right, it's easier just to throw targets out to get people to miss, especially since 25mm were put out to 40,

That's why IMHO we need to make it appealing to bring targets in, not encourage more that's thrown out.