Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dennis Hiller

Dennis Hiller

Hi,
    Anyone know if Dennis Hiller is still about?
    If so any idea if it’s possible to get in touch with him?
    He has a postal address in his last ‘Guide to Air rifles’ so could maybe go old school and write a letter.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Hi,
    Anyone know if Dennis Hiller is still about?
    If so any idea if it’s possible to get in touch with him?
    He has a postal address in his last ‘Guide to Air rifles’ so could maybe go old school and write a letter.

Cheers,
    Matt.
    Matt I think I heard he's still with us but has swapped interest in airguns for old bikes? Not sure he wants to converse about airguns these days.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Matt I think I heard he's still with us but has swapped interest in airguns for old bikes? Not sure he wants to converse about airguns these days.
    Thanks Danny,
    Good to hear he’s still around anyway.

Cheers,
    Matt.

He put the needle in the grove for me.
    He published that informative book to get me started.
    Cannot thank him enough.
    Did meet him once.

Thumbs up

I'm pretty sure that Chris Hough over on the AGF bought his stock when he packed in

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Dennis was quite seriously ill a year or two back but was expected to pull through. He was still maintaining an eye on the airgun collecting scene when we last spoke, although as Garvin says, Dennis is no longer involved with our hobby.

His excellent books and mailings got me started too and he has a very special place in our community.

John

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Dennis was quite seriously ill a year or two back but was expected to pull through. He was still maintaining an eye on the airgun collecting scene when we last spoke, although as Garvin says, Dennis is no longer involved with our hobby.

His excellent books and mailings got me started too and he has a very special place in our community.

John
    Yes l also have Dennis to thank for getting me into airgun collecting through his books, they were the best at the time. l still have all the mailing lists l had from him. from which l bought a few of my collection. l used to have a chat with him when he was still doing the arms fairs. good to know he is still with us.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Chris Hough over on the AGF bought his stock when he packed in

John
    That's right I helped him collect it all with my [large] van.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Too bad he finally grew up, for me I’m staying a kid.

I spoke to Dennis Hiller on the 'phone about ten years ago and he was reluctant to chat about airguns even then. I still have the editions of his books that I thumbed constantly as a teenager. One of the airgun greats!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I did a few arms fairs with Dennis over the years when he had his little shop in Whittle-le-Woods near Chorley, Lancs. What a character, a mine of information but what a poor chess player. He helped me with the formation of Rivington Riflemen.
    Ive not seen or spoke to him for a long time but the last time I saw him he was still living near Exuton, Chorley and into Italian (Laverda?) motorbikes. Out of the frying pan into the fire.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I did a few arms fairs with Dennis over the years when he had his little shop in Whittle-le-Woods near Chorley, Lancs. What a character, a mine of information but what a poor chess player. He helped me with the formation of Rivington Riflemen.
    Ive not seen or spoke to him for a long time but the last time I saw him he was still living near Exuton, Chorley and into Italian (Laverda?) motorbikes. Out of the frying pan into the fire.

ATB
    Ian
    Remember his Cupboard under the stairs mate ?

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    Remember his Cupboard under the stairs mate ?
    We were never that friendly.

I do remember his old estate car (Hillman Avenger? A18 GUN) that had done over 100K and still managed a damn good time from London to Charnock Richards services, loaded to the roof, where he sneaked off the motorway by service road.

I remember getting his lists of new stock for sale. Badly typed (presumably in the dark with one eye closed) and then photocopied on a knackered copier, I always looked forward to them turning up. We get our post late in the morning, scanning the list straight after arrival I was instantly on the phone to buy the Webley Mk.1 rifle instructions he had listed, I think they were £50. But of course I was about the 10th person to ring him and it was already gone!

I remember helping him 'print', if thats the word, these news sheets on what looked like a school rejected machine which had a drum (with ink, sometimes) in which you cranked the handle. I dont think he ever proof read them.

Included in these Sales sheets were little items of wisdom and tales. The one I remember best is the tale of the ancient farmer who,for some reason, decided to learn to put his finger up the bore of his musket at the muzzle end and hold it out at arms length. I suppose we would now call it a party piece. When he mastered this he proudly displayed his trick in the local village market square where upon the villagers killed him because he was a witch.

Some days your the pigeon. Some days your the statue. This was definitely a statue day.

ATB
    Ian