Thread: Rapids

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rapids

I no nothing about these, which is THE ONE to go for ? And why
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Those ones in Deliverance that Burt Reynolds went down in a canoe look good, Dave.

Hope this helps

All the best Mick

I always liked the mfr as it seemed to balance a bit better and the bottle didn't need bleeding as you took it off.

However the slightly newer ones had a quick fill and a gauge which is something that the older models desperately needed.

The Impact GSX200/GSX100's were the last of the UK Rapid type. They were manufactured by Impact who took over the old Theoben factory unit and now sadly have stopped production. They came with a gauge and quick fill as standard. I have a GSX200 in .20 and really rate it. There are many models of Rapid in earlier guise, Mk1 (unregulated), Mk2 (regulated), S Type, MFR etc etc. Main differences between the earlier and later models are trigger type and the scalloped block. There is a cracking owners club R7OC, the members are very helpful and can help you maintain and locate spares. If you want to try out a couple of different versions in my garden give me a bell, none of them are for sale though. I have a late Mk1 .177 with a scalloped block and Mk4 trigger, early Mk2 .22 with the Ben Taylor sporter trigger, MFR .22 with the scalloped block and Mk4 trigger and the Impact .20. Anyone who has owned a Rapid has their own personal preference, some say the Mk4 trigger is best while others are more than happy with the Sporter trigger. Some like the scalloped block, some the plain block, the only advantage I have found with the scalloped block is it easier to load a single pellet if that is what you want to do. Some prefer the Mk1 and some the Mk2, it really is a matter of choice. Getting a good unmolested example however may be a little difficult
    Last edited by ken69; 17-11-2018 at 10:27 PM.

I favour the mk1 in 177
    The majority of Rapids are excellent rifles
    I wouldn't buy any other PCP.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I gave into the hype and bought a mk1 .177 a few years ago. It was the most dissapointing air rifle I've ever owned, maybe even the most dissapointing thing I've ever owned!

I got rid and bought a Steyr H5 which was totally the other end of the spectrum.

That said I am now thinking of getting one in .22. There's just something about them, I want to LOVE it!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    You'll get a different answer from everyone you ask

My perfect choice (sub 12fpe) would be the MFR, shrouded barrel, scalloped block, MK4 trigger in .20cal.

Why ? the MFR bottle valve allows straight removal with no dry firing to release pressure, the shroud looks better & with a quick internal tweek makes a superb mod, scalloped block gives better access, MK4 trigger is their best & .20 is the best sub 12 hunting calibre.