Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rapids

Rapids

I no nothing about these, which is THE ONE to go for ? And why
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Those ones in Deliverance that Burt Reynolds went down in a canoe look good, Dave.

Hope this helps

All the best Mick

I always liked the mfr as it seemed to balance a bit better and the bottle didn't need bleeding as you took it off.

However the slightly newer ones had a quick fill and a gauge which is something that the older models desperately needed.

The Impact GSX200/GSX100's were the last of the UK Rapid type. They were manufactured by Impact who took over the old Theoben factory unit and now sadly have stopped production. They came with a gauge and quick fill as standard. I have a GSX200 in .20 and really rate it. There are many models of Rapid in earlier guise, Mk1 (unregulated), Mk2 (regulated), S Type, MFR etc etc. Main differences between the earlier and later models are trigger type and the scalloped block. There is a cracking owners club R7OC, the members are very helpful and can help you maintain and locate spares. If you want to try out a couple of different versions in my garden give me a bell, none of them are for sale though. I have a late Mk1 .177 with a scalloped block and Mk4 trigger, early Mk2 .22 with the Ben Taylor sporter trigger, MFR .22 with the scalloped block and Mk4 trigger and the Impact .20. Anyone who has owned a Rapid has their own personal preference, some say the Mk4 trigger is best while others are more than happy with the Sporter trigger. Some like the scalloped block, some the plain block, the only advantage I have found with the scalloped block is it easier to load a single pellet if that is what you want to do. Some prefer the Mk1 and some the Mk2, it really is a matter of choice. Getting a good unmolested example however may be a little difficult
    Last edited by ken69; 17-11-2018 at 10:27 PM.

I favour the mk1 in 177
    The majority of Rapids are excellent rifles
    I wouldn't buy any other PCP.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I gave into the hype and bought a mk1 .177 a few years ago. It was the most dissapointing air rifle I've ever owned, maybe even the most dissapointing thing I've ever owned!

I got rid and bought a Steyr H5 which was totally the other end of the spectrum.

That said I am now thinking of getting one in .22. There's just something about them, I want to LOVE it!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Thanks for the replies chaps, very useful. Well most where

Why were you disappointed Nick ?

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    My advice has always been the same over the years.

If you know nothing about rapids stay well clear buying one SH.
    Master Debater

You'll get a different answer from everyone you ask

My perfect choice (sub 12fpe) would be the MFR, shrouded barrel, scalloped block, MK4 trigger in .20cal.

Why ? the MFR bottle valve allows straight removal with no dry firing to release pressure, the shroud looks better & with a quick internal tweek makes a superb mod, scalloped block gives better access, MK4 trigger is their best & .20 is the best sub 12 hunting calibre.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Why were you disappointed Nick ?
    My expectations were just too high. It's an old unregged PCP so things like the power curve and trigger are poor compared to anything made this century, you have to remove the bottle to fill, there's no gauge to tell if it needs filling and this one simply would not group at any range with any pellet. (A barrel issue it turned out)

I do want another one, I do want it to be better, but I also realise I could spend under £400 on a chinese PCP which would be better in every measurable way. But that wouldn't be a Rapid!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

As my user name might indicate, I am a fan of the Theoben Rapid.I will be the first to admit that it leaves some things out which many find annoying but on balance it is still a very fine air rifle.
    I currently own 2 Rapids-one legal limit .20 and the other a FAC .22-and both are late model Mk 2's with the latest series 4 triggers. The legal limit one has a scalloped loading port which makes single shot loading very easy whereas the FAC one is slightly older and just uses a magazine feed . Mine also have pressure gauges screwed in to the base of the block. As the legal limit Rapid mk 2 is regulated as standard the gauge shows the regulator working pressure NOT the pressure in the air bottle so only shows when your rifle has gone 'off the reg'.. For those who want to know how much air they have left in their bottle, several after -market mods are available. As all of these mean that the bottle is moved forward they all require stock drilling which many find unacceptable.
    The Rapids of whatever era are high quality rifles and will last a very long time. Some unkind shooters call them 'agricultural' and I don't really know whether this description is meant as an insult or compliment. Comparing one with other precharged air rifles will tell just by looking that you have a solid piece of engineering which will give you many years of service with minimal maintenance being needed. Maintenance is easy and modifications are all too easy which gives rise to the comment above warning against buying a second hand one unless you know what you are doing. That being said pretty well every fault seen in a second hand botched Rapid can be put right unless the block itself is damaged. In use the Rapid is as accurate as anything else. The barrels in regular use are generally of a high quality from leading German manufacturers. As most reading this will know the Rapid is what is called a 'bottle gun'-the air store is in the form of a 'buddy bottle' so called because its origins are from diving when a small amount of air is required as a back up or to help a fellow diver in trouble. No one can claim that they are pretty. I certainly would much prefer to use a tube preferably one with quickfill rather than having to remove the bottle for filling. Sadly these are not freely available so I prefer to use the 'MFR' type of 280cc bottle and valve allowing for much easier removal for filling than the standard 400cc and 500cc bottles. Some bottles have been drilled in the base to install a nozzle enabling direct filling but very few are available and many experts will caution against using this method on safety grounds. The absence of quickfill is regarded by many-myself included-as a disadvantage when the Rapid is compared with say the Daystate Air Ranger which is possibly the closest rifle to compare with the Rapid. If this bothers you then again after market modifications are available.
    One thing to me which stands out when comparing a Rapid to its rivals is the ease with which tasks like changing barrels and calibres can be a carried out. It takes me about 15 minutes to change the calibre of my Rapid. On balance the Rapid in every incarnation from the first Rapid 7 (this term is only accurately applied to describe early versions where the 7 refers to the capacity of the magazine and the marking on the side of the block) to the latest Rapid Mk 2 made up until the demise of Theoben. For those wanting the very latest then I advise you to look into the products made by RAW (Rapid Air Weapons) in the USA which remedy all of the disadvantages found in Theoben made rifles outlined above.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Airforce airguns in the US have bought RAW (Rapid Air Weapons ) and also the Theoben name and on this video said there may be some new Theoben models being made .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ucU9vegk8A
    Last edited by bighit; 18-11-2018 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Airforce airguns in the US have bought RAW (Rapid Air Weapons ) and also the Theoben name and on this video said there may be some new Theoben models being made .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ucU9vegk8A
    Great thanks for the heads up. Should be good for the brand. Do you know who distributes them in the UK?
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    Great thanks for the heads up. Should be good for the brand. Do you know who distributes them in the UK?
    Michael Tawn Airgun Supplies. He advertises in Gunmart.