Thread: Simplifying a Scorpion

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Simplifying a Scorpion

I am currently trying to simplify a Scorpion. I have manged to do away with the safety catch and tried a T.R.Robb piston head (see other thread) and am thinking of using stainless steel 4mm pozidrive screws for the screws that hold the trigger housing, the rear stock screw and the one in the grip. I was thinking of slot head screws but especially with the trigger housing screws Pozi's would be easier.
    So really, what I am thinking about is a guide/top hat and piston head. The gun I have has a cut down guide -------------and although I like the idea of the T.R.Robb head, that nut that is too big for the mainspring is a Pain in the arris --------------------So what I am toying with is the idea of fitting a leather piston washer--but how? The best idea I can think of is an inverted top hat with a short stub to go through the hole in the pistonand tapped 2BA and then using a 2BA screw to hold the leather washer on.
    I know this is not an adapter to take a modern seal but this would probably be longer lasting.
    However if I could sort out something to sort out that 9/16 nut not fitting inside the mainspring problem, then an O ring and no buffer washer might be the thing
    Any thoughts ?
    Thanks
    Last edited by ggggr; 17-01-2019 at 08:07 PM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Diana 28mm seal works with a turned down M8 allen headed countersunk bolt threaded though, and instead of a nut, use an internally threaded small steel top hat (front spring guide) with a small lateral hole through it. The small hole is used to hold it (just stick a suitable sized punch into it though the piston slot) when tightening up the countersunk bolt that retains the seal. add a few mm of stroke too, so I added a spacer back in to get it to stock stroke, or it interferes with the trigger (main long sear)...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

This

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Diana 28mm seal works with a turned down M8 allen headed countersunk bolt threaded though, and instead of a nut, use an internally threaded small steel top hat (front spring guide) with a small lateral hole through it. The small hole is used to hold it (just stick a suitable sized punch into it though the piston slot) when tightening up the countersunk bolt that retains the seal. add a few mm of stroke too, so I added a spacer back in to get it to stock stroke, or it interferes with the trigger (main long sear)...
    This sounds ideal.someone should make them up.

O ring

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    That is what I thought! -----not having a lathe or the skills. However I still think an O ring or leather washer would be longer lasting an have less problems although they might not be as efficient.
    The 28 mm rws blue seals are fantastic in my opinion. Had many rws blue sealed guns.
    None have ever required replacing either despite the condition of rifle or amount used .
    Only a guess but using the blue seal could increase swept volume too ?.
    Not that it's needed but may allow for a softer spring.

The custom tuning company that shut few years back from India the name alludes me now used to make such a bolt for the m45 rws.

Couldn't be hard and would could suit other models too

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by original45 View Post
    The 28 mm rws blue seals are fantastic in my opinion. Had many rws blue sealed guns.
    None have ever required replacing either despite the condition of rifle or amount used .

The custom tuning company that shut few years back from India the name alludes me now used to make such a bolt for the m45 rws.

Target tune India ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by original45 View Post

I would still need the top hat/ guide making. I don't know about the blue seals, but have had old Original pistols with the washer turned to Mush (like bsa buffer washers) although I belive the material is better now? I've also hade Baikal 53 pistols where the seal has hardend and stopped working properly.
    My guess is an O ring would probably last longer. I know of someone who had an Old Bsa Mercury running the original O ring and they had to shorten the mainspring as the gun was running over 14ft lb!
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Thumbs up Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Target tune India ?
    That's the one

I fitted a leather piston washer. I'm waiting for it to settle in -- but i tried a plink before putting some Sm50 down the transefer port to soak in. It seems promising. Quite a fast firing cycle and I'm hoping it will be consistent once settled.
    I now have a scorpion with a leather piston washer and no safety catch to go wrong