Thread: The Tyrolean Stock.... what is its origin?

The Tyrolean Stock.... what is its origin?

Right my learned colleagues.... who invented the Tyrolean stock and when? If not who, then what is its origins?

I've seen them as far back as Bugelspanners but not looked further than that...

There is plenty of information on old German and Austrian sporting/hunting firearms (where the Tyrolean stock originated) on the net unfortunately it all appears to be in German......

heres some interesting stuff https://www.pinterest.co.uk/ottobrown5/schuetzen/
    Last edited by Mr. Gen; 24-11-2019 at 12:20 AM.
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    Wow...are they actually antique the or modern reproductions?
    They look in amazing condition if they are old guns.

I think the Tyrolean stock originated in the 1800's on the old Schuetzen rifles which were accurate black powder guns mainly used for target shooting. Had nothing to do with airguns originally, just adopted into their design.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Johann Peterlongo of Innsbruck in the Tyrol and by the late 1850's had a reputation for high quality fireams usiing "Tyrolean" stocks. I dont know if he first came up with them or got the idea from other target rifle makers in the area. He also made airguns. The middle one is a spring piston example using a heavy V spring to power a piston in the butt. Crank wou
    Last edited by greenwayjames; 25-11-2019 at 01:08 PM.