Thread: Posting pistol air cylinders

Posting pistol air cylinders

Is it still ok to send a PCP pistol by RMSD if the cylinders are emptied?

Thanks,
    Eric.

No, but I have bought a few pcp, s via pf48, but it's a risk on my part. Even empty, it's still classed as a pressure vessel. So it's a lottery
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

People have been told both yes & no, "pressure vessels" are prohibited either full or empty, But the rules equally say airguns can be sent & do not state PCP's are not included.

IF you do then mark the outside "surface mail only" - RMSD usually goes by air at some point, but unaccompanied firearms are prohibited by the CAA so a "gun shape" (on Xray) will be refused flight & it's highly likely RM will then send it to Belfast to be opened & inspected, at which point it's pot luck.

Thank you for your replies, much appreciated!
    It’s a few years since I posted a pcp so take it the rules are tighter now...how do people move them safely and insured around the country now, is face to face the only alternative?

Eric.

the last time I posted a pcp I removed the air cylinder and unscrewed the pressure valve, and wrapped them separatly in the parcel.if it did get too Belfast then at least they can see there is no way it can be pressurised until it rebuilt.!

Quote Originally Posted by eredel View Post
    Thank you for your replies, much appreciated!
    It’s a few years since I posted a pcp so take it the rules are tighter now...how do people move them safely and insured around the country now, is face to face the only alternative?

Eric.
    No, the rules aren't any tighter now than they ever were, it's just that with the info easily available online more people (on here) are aware of them, combined with more mail going by air rather than by train, as I said above, RMSD will now routinely travel by air which means it gets Xray'd.

A lot of people post anything & everything without the slightest idea that certain items are restricted or prohibited, other people, that do know, lie (or are less than truthful) about parcel contents.

Re insurance, plenty of people pay for extra cover without understanding that their item is excluded & limited to the basic level of the service they pay for
    but unless they're unlucky enough to need to claim they live on in blissful ignorance thinking they are fully covered

99% of the time there will be no issue, a few people have however been unlucky.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I do know directly one chap that got caught out... So if it was me, I'd send the gun RMSD and the empty cylinder(s) seperately to minimise both risk and potential loss.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I do know directly one chap that got caught out... So if it was me, I'd send the gun RMSD and the empty cylinder(s) seperately to minimise both risk and potential loss.
    I think that’s the best way to go....good thinking!

Eric.