Thread: Can I make a buffer washer out of delrin?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

Can I make a buffer washer out of delrin?

Hi all,

A question for the shed tuners really, I've just stripped down a mk6 Airsporter for my friend and the buffer washer was falling apart and was just starting to bind up the internals, do the esteemed tuners think a Delrin buffer washer can be used successfully or will it fall apart from the constant poundings from the piston hitting the cylinder end wall?

Your thoughts and advice please gentlemen.

Cheers

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

My expectation is that it would work but somehow defeat the object that the buffer was put there for ... namely to sort of cushion the piston as it reached the end of the cylinder. But I doubt if you would notice any difference. Indeed, one 'tune' is to ditch the buffer washer and set the piston head back a tad by drilling a new pin hole so that you get more swept volume. Again I have never done this myself.
    I have made new buffer washers ... the 3/4" tap washer is good, as is rubber sheet and I have also made them from leather.
    Cheers, Phil

I saw a buffer made from an old piston seal, similar material.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    My expectation is that it would work but somehow defeat the object that the buffer was put there for ... namely to sort of cushion the piston as it reached the end of the cylinder. But I doubt if you would notice any difference. Indeed, one 'tune' is to ditch the buffer washer and set the piston head back a tad by drilling a new pin hole so that you get more swept volume. Again I have never done this myself.
    I have made new buffer washers ... the 3/4" tap washer is good, as is rubber sheet and I have also made them from leather.
    Cheers, Phil
    I've lost count how many different type of head set ups I've used over the years on all my Beezas but I've never made anything out of Delrin, like you say I don't think the buffer washer really done too much, the rifle I'm doing is for my friend who has a lathe and he will be making the buffer washer and the guides for the spring.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in