I think using a higher mag to do your zeroing in is a good idea but have typically shot between 6 & 7x mag on most of my guns for years now, why 7X? as that means a lot of the reticle markings line up somewhere closer for a sub-12 .22 with JSB's. on the local range there used to be a christmass tree type target with cans and bottles hanging off it, it was placed out at 83 yards and was quite easily shot (regularly shot I should say) by bracketing between the hollow reticle section of the Hawke 1/2MD scopes on 7 x mag. the rest was figuring out the windage.

even on my FX FAC streamline, the drops are better calculated at 6.5 x mag to give aimpoints on the AMX reticle of 40, 50, 60, 69, 79, 88 and 100 yds. with the option there to drop lower to 4 x for a wider FOV when the pard 007 is fitted and 16x to help get a better zero

I suppose it depends what you are used to and what type of shooting you do? I still have a Duplex reticle'd scope which I know a lot of the click points on the gun for ranges out to 350dys (.223 REM) but prefer multi point reticles like the SCB's, AMX, SR-Pro, MAP-8 & 6A etc.