Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting scopes, just curious.....

A good 6x40/42 has always been a really strong choice at sensible pigeon/rabbit ranges.

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    A decent 50mm extends your shooting time over a 40mm, if you get a side or fixed parallax you can still mount the scope reasonably low.

I only hunt at 6x and never change magnification or parallax while hunting.
    I don’t have fixed 6x scope but use The following scopes and all fixed at 6x

Nikon prostaff BDC 150 3-9x40, Nikon p223 BDC 600, viper connect,
    And mamba lite.
    When do paper target up to 40 yards I use 6x and anything further 9-10x.

Hunting scopes, just curious.....

Quote Originally Posted by 400yrds View Post
    The only variable scope I use is on my CZ455 .22lr and as above it spends 99% on X6 power. My stalking rifles are all topped with fixed Swarovski or Schmidt Bender 8X50, 8X56 or 6X42. To be honest I prefer the 6X42's as it's more compact and light and capable of doing the job. Haven't time to fiddle with zoom nor into taking long shots as I like to see what I shoot drop and not run off. All those whom talk about bunnies and covids at 60yrds plus are inhumane in my opinion. Too many variables come into play at those ranges, talking about airguns.
    60 yards is the limit for fac airguns for a good clean kill i'd say, 30yds more like it for sub 12.just took a bunny for the ferrets tonight at dusk with my.22 mpt titan at 30yards with my fave low mag scope the little whitetail 1.5-5x22wa .Set on x4, clean headshot didn't even twitch.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    I've recently returned to using my old HW80 for targeting the grey menace on a local farm. The gun is topped off with a 3.5-10x50 wtc. A good scope.
    But, I almost exclusively set the scope on 6x and leave it there. And this got me thinking. Do I really need the variable mag of this scope? Certainly when I first had this gun it was scoped with an ASI 4x40 scope and I certainly wasn't hampered by that fact- though my eyes were considerably better over 30 years ago than they are today
    I've recently picked up an older Edgar brothers 6x42 scope and am impressed by the quality of the glass on it.
    So my question is do I revert over to a simple fixed mag scope? How many out there hunt with a fixed mag scope? I can well appreciate for those that shoot competitively a variable mag scope has its benefits. But I'm questioning do I need this capability for hunting?
    Any views (no pun intended) on this?
    Dave
    I have an older Edgar brothers fixed mag on one of my rifles but it's a 6x44.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I haven't hunted for years but, when I did, the fixed 4x mag always sufficed and provided consistency when switching between different rifles.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I haven't hunted for years but, when I did, the fixed 4x mag always sufficed and provided consistency when switching between different rifles.
    Agree Tone, I used the Swarovski on all the rifles I've had and hunted with them all
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Keep the WTC, put it on 10x Mag, re parallax it so it can be used like a HFT rig. Spot on for hunting squirel, rabbits and corvids.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    On a tangent, I have a Connect 01 scope in the cupboard, it's a very wide angle fixed 10x with no eye relief. Unusual and useful, if only it could be mounted a bit lower. Only for use on recoiless rifles, it's good for keeping track of squirrels as they move around the trees.

This scope has the field of view of much lower powered scopes, I'm sure there would be a market for a better built version ( one without all the dodgy Russian screws holding it all together ).

premierpistol is offline Six out of seven dwarfs aren't happy
    I think using a higher mag to do your zeroing in is a good idea but have typically shot between 6 & 7x mag on most of my guns for years now, why 7X? as that means a lot of the reticle markings line up somewhere closer for a sub-12 .22 with JSB's. on the local range there used to be a christmass tree type target with cans and bottles hanging off it, it was placed out at 83 yards and was quite easily shot (regularly shot I should say) by bracketing between the hollow reticle section of the Hawke 1/2MD scopes on 7 x mag. the rest was figuring out the windage.

even on my FX FAC streamline, the drops are better calculated at 6.5 x mag to give aimpoints on the AMX reticle of 40, 50, 60, 69, 79, 88 and 100 yds. with the option there to drop lower to 4 x for a wider FOV when the pard 007 is fitted and 16x to help get a better zero

I suppose it depends what you are used to and what type of shooting you do? I still have a Duplex reticle'd scope which I know a lot of the click points on the gun for ranges out to 350dys (.223 REM) but prefer multi point reticles like the SCB's, AMX, SR-Pro, MAP-8 & 6A etc.

I'll be interested in seeing what people think of the new MTC compact scopes
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

leadpig is offline sheet lead welder extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    I'll be interested in seeing what people think of the new MTC compact scopes
    the prismatic ?

Quote Originally Posted by leadpig View Post
    the prismatic ?
    Yes, it all seems to have gone quiet