Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting scopes, just curious.....

Hunting scopes, just curious.....

I've recently returned to using my old HW80 for targeting the grey menace on a local farm. The gun is topped off with a 3.5-10x50 wtc. A good scope.
    But, I almost exclusively set the scope on 6x and leave it there. And this got me thinking. Do I really need the variable mag of this scope? Certainly when I first had this gun it was scoped with an ASI 4x40 scope and I certainly wasn't hampered by that fact- though my eyes were considerably better over 30 years ago than they are today
    I've recently picked up an older Edgar brothers 6x42 scope and am impressed by the quality of the glass on it.
    So my question is do I revert over to a simple fixed mag scope? How many out there hunt with a fixed mag scope? I can well appreciate for those that shoot competitively a variable mag scope has its benefits. But I'm questioning do I need this capability for hunting?
    Any views (no pun intended) on this?
    Dave

I use 6x at the moment as I’m only hunting, if it were for targets as well then I’d be looking to use at least a 3-9x if not 4-12x...

The problem you’ve got is that the WTC is parallaxed for 100yds (unless it’s been redone) so the higher mag settings will be useless at most normal airgun ranges...
    .22 S410...
    .22 Webley Xocet...
    .22 HW95k...

Shot my Nephews HW80k in .22 with an Edgar Brothers 6x42 on it for years . Great scope as you have also found.

All down to field of view at the given mag.

If you've got a squizzer running through the tree tops it can be hard to follow with a high mag & a nightmare to find if you loose it,
    With a variable scope, minimum mag is easy to track it, then when it stops half hidden from view, winding the mag up will often show it well enough to allow a shot.

Same with rabbits/rats running around at night.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    All down to field of view at the given mag.

If you've got a squizzer running through the tree tops it can be hard to follow with a high mag & a nightmare to find if you loose it,
    With a variable scope, minimum mag is easy to track it, then when it stops half hidden from view, winding the mag up will often show it well enough to allow a shot.
    As above :

And for this purpose I use a Hawke 2-7x32 AO scope for my tree rat shooting. The field of view Is very wide on the lower magnifications and perfect for following the little buggers through the tree tops until It stops moving, and then that final shot can be taken,

John

https://uk.hawkeoptics.com/vantage-2...o-mil-dot.html
    God created man and god created woman
    Sam colt made them equal

Put the EB 6x42 on mate, perfect hunting scope, I've got 8 EB scopes in different guises and they are all fantastic optically, those Japs make superb glass and you can pick them up quite cheap aswell, atb Daz

My two main hunters have straight forward fixed 4x scopes. I've had higher mags and zooms out but always end up dialling them back. Now I just stick to 4x.

Thanks for the replies folks. Definitely a consensus that reverting to a fixed mag scope on my main shooting iron is no drama.
    Until recently I had been using an old 50T01 topped with an old period tv view tasco and that certainly gave a good account of things which has got me in this mind frame.
    Thanks again.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Thanks for the replies folks. Definitely a consensus that reverting to a fixed mag scope on my main shooting iron is no drama.
    Until recently I had been using an old 50T01 topped with an old period tv view tasco and that certainly gave a good account of things which has got me in this mind frame.
    Thanks again.
    Dave
    I still use a Swarovski Habicht Nova 4x32 I bought in 1985, been on virtually ever air rifle I've ever had
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Fixed power scopes

Beauty about fixed over variable power scopes is you can afford better quality brands by buying fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by 400yrds View Post
    Beauty about fixed over variable power scopes is you can afford better quality brands by buying fixed.
    I paid £240 from Westbury Guns when I bought it in 1985, everyone thought I was mad, it isn't mint but still works
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    I paid £240 from Westbury Guns when I bought it in 1985, everyone thought I was mad, it isn't mint but still works

Can't go wrong with a scope of that quality also the light gathering properties means extra time to acquire a target either dawn or dusk. Those fine target reticles ain't no use in poor light conditions give me solid post's all the way. I rate Leupold also as a hunting scope they can take 1000's of knocks and kicks from the most vicious springers.

My BSA FAC Hornet has an old style Nikko Sterling 6-24 x 44 scope I bought off here about 12 years ago, I tend to use it at either x6, x10 or x24 depending on the situation. x10 is good all round but as has been said if you need to get in close with something that’s hiding in the trees then 24mag sometimes allows a shot where the lower mags wouldn’t.

One thing I have found is that going up in mag often means you don’t see twigs etc at closer distances between you and the target which sometimes means you miss completely.

I also have a ChairGun derived cheat sheet which gives me hold over/under at those three mags

Norm

The only variable scope I use is on my CZ455 .22lr and as above it spends 99% on X6 power. My stalking rifles are all topped with fixed Swarovski or Schmidt Bender 8X50, 8X56 or 6X42. To be honest I prefer the 6X42's as it's more compact and light and capable of doing the job. Haven't time to fiddle with zoom nor into taking long shots as I like to see what I shoot drop and not run off. All those whom talk about bunnies and covids at 60yrds plus are inhumane in my opinion. Too many variables come into play at those ranges, talking about airguns.

Wtc

Keep your Simmons on brilliant scopes strong and reliable and quality