Thread: Bonehill Britannia power

Bonehill Britannia power

Hi,
    Anyone have an idea of what power the Britannia’s were supposed to be putting out when new?
    Mine’s doing about 7.5ftlbs on the full power setting and it has a really easy cocking effort.

No chrono’s back then but they were supposed to be quite high power for the time.

Cheers,
    Matt.
    Last edited by ptdunk; 19-11-2018 at 03:44 PM.

I would say you were at the power they were putting out when new.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I would say you were at the power they were putting out when new.

Baz
    Thanks Baz.
    Any idea how the power compared to a BSA standard of the time? (1905)
    Some guys at my club have 1910 CS’s running at over 10ftlbs, but a mate’s recently serviced 1905 standard is running at about 6.

Just doing some research for a future YouTube vid.

Cheers,
    Matt.

I made a polyurethane piston seal for gingernuts Britannia and from memory it was doing 630 fps with an 8.4 grn pellet, which is a more than my 1905 Lincoln Jeffries but that still has the original springs and piston seal in it. Mine would do a bit more if new parts fitted. Will do some tests later with new spring in.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Baz did a very good job on mine.
    I think it probably shot as well as one could.

But I would guess a well fettled BSA Standard would have more power.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Standard defo has more power... the stroke of the britannia isn't that long.
    My Dad has ginernut's old britannia, and it and mine both do around 7.5 FP too... both with fairly moderate springs. I'd guess with more spring 8-9 would be possible for the .177, at the expense of getting a little harsh. But a Standard will still be "soft" at the same power, and go a little higher.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Standard defo has more power... the stroke of the britannia isn't that long.
    My Dad has ginernut's old britannia, and it and mine both do around 7.5 FP too... both with fairly moderate springs. I'd guess with more spring 8-9 would be possible for the .177, at the expense of getting a little harsh. But a Standard will still be "soft" at the same power, and go a little higher.
    Cheers Jon,
    That makes sense, it’s hard to judge how they all shot back then, but Bonehill made a point that the Britannia’s cocked with ‘a trifling effort’ so I suppose we can assume the springs weren’t that much stronger back then than we have now.

Thanks too Baz,
    Newer bits in a standard might give a higher power then they would have had back then though.

I want to do an accuracy comparison between the Britannia & BSA on my vid but I’m not sure which one to compare it to.
    The Britannia is shorter than a light pattern, but nearly as heavy as the standard and probably between them in terms of power.

LP would be best as I have one and not a standard.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    LP would be best as I have one and not a standard.
    easy choice then 😀
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Not sure about which wins on cocking effort.
    Different systems.
    The Brittania always reminded me of the Bullworker exercise gadget I had in the 70s.
    More fun though.