Thread: PCP Accuracy

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

PCP Accuracy

Just been up at the range tweaking the zero on my old BSA Scorpion. It is a first generation Scorpion, no aftermarket mods like a regulator, no Bowkett Blueprint, nothing. Without too much effort I can shoot 10 shot groups at 30 yards of less than 8mm centre to centre off a rest. Having mostly shot springers all my life that is amazing. I am keen to see how much tweaking the trigger will improve that group size.

This means that I have no excuse at all for missing things, anything that goes wrong is all my fault with technique, range-finding or judging the wind.

That's terrible! In the old days springers would throw the odd diesel and they are so tricky to shoot you could just blame it on the cussedness of the beast.

Not with a PCP. They hold the mirror up to one's crapness!

they do that bud

Micky Spillane is offline reports of my death have been greatly exagerated
    Yep it was always the same, with a recoiling rifle or pistol you had a ready made excuse .303 Enfield. FN L1A1, GPMG or 9mm self loading Browning automatic. HW97K BSA Airsporter or a BSA Goldstar 10 shot with a gas ram. There was always an excuse. Recoil, rogue pellet, dieseling? and then someone gives me a dead stick An RWS Excalibre and I ran out of excuses and had to "man up and admit that I was not consistent with all my shots. When I really concentrated back in the day I could produce 98/100 from a Martini Henry .22 target rifle with a proper peep sight and a sling that clipped to the sleeve of my shooting jacket. but that was thirty+ years ago.
    Drink good English Bitter beer and shoot safe,
    Micky Spillane

Ah,PCP's! it's hard to fall in love with air gun's that have nothing to offer but accuracy!

I love PCP,s. Accuracy is the name of the game, ensuring a clean kill every time.

Any rifle at any time in any conditions is only as good as the man/woman who is shooting it.
    Bob

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Ah,PCP's! it's hard to fall in love with air gun's that have nothing to offer but accuracy!
    It's true. I like my BSA PCP, but I have absolutely no desire to buy another PCP. It flings the lead down the range consistently and precisely, but they all do that. It was cleaned, oiled and put back in the cabinet when I got home. I will use it for some HFT at some point, now I have the pellet, the zero and got used to the trigger it is going to be left alone, a tool for shooting with rather than an interesting device.

On the other hand, the ancient HW25 I took on the trip with me, which showed it can only shoot a crappy 1.5" group at 10 yards? I have got plans for that one, I love the tiny little chipmunk HW and I am going to do my best to get it operating at its peak. Which will probably mean printing the same size groups at 6 yards that the PCP will shoot at 30 yards ... but there's much fun to be had on the journey. BOING! as TonyL might say or think....

Indeed,I have spent many an enjoyable hour fiddling with springers in the garage and at no time have I ever had an enjoyable hour at all ever tinkering with a PCP!

Same as cars.

We all know modern cars are amazing.
    But we love ,and like tinkering with old ones.

I still like my springers but I bought an old single shot Scorpion and it seems to be the first one out of the cupboard these days. Funny as I never got on with them previously.

pcps

pcps are much easier to shoot.

good groups with that one

i sold my last hw80 years ago as preffer pcps

I’ve only recently got back into air gun shooting and have to admit pcp’s have changed a lot for me, I can concentrate on my shooting now rather than worrying about what the gun is going to do. If I miss it’s on me lol