Thread: Geco Diablo .177 V. RWS R10 Match .177

Geco Diablo .177 V. RWS R10 Match .177

I'm far from being an expert , in fact I'm only just starting out in the world of target shooting. The range in my cellar ( 8 metres ) is not quite finished but is up and running.

I did some testing with my newly acquired Model 75 over the weekend, what a fantastic piece of kit.

Having come from shooting sporting springers and never trying a purpose made target rifle I'm blown away.

Anyways, the seller kindly gave me a few R10 match pellets, which the 75 soon devoured , so I had to switch pellets and had some Geco .177 's knocking about, they look and shoot as far as I can see exactly the same as the double the price R10's.

I'm not sure what gr the Gecos are as it doesn't say on the tin , perhaps not quite as heavy as the R10 ?

So could someone explain ?

Also any other pellet recommendations for the Model 75 would be of interest.

The rifle in question is shooting over the crony between 551 fps and 588 fps spread over ten test shots , that was with the RWS Hobby pellets.

I think the breech seal is none existent.

I'd be interested in any thoughts and advice , its all new for me but I'm enjoying it very much.

Thanks
    Last edited by Steve Zodiac; 19-11-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the world of paper punching!

When the Model 75 first came out and we bought them along with the Model 66 and rival FWB 300S match rifles we mainly used the RWS Meisterkugeln or Hobby pellets in them as these were the two main wadcutter types available and in use at that time.

Both of these pellet types are still available today and still working just as well in these rifles, but at shorter distances you may find that most good quality wadcutter pellets will give good groupings - but not necessarily in the same place - so be prepared to adjust your sights slightly to keep the group in the middle of the black bit as you swap brands.

You will soon find a pellet that suits your rifle best and one that you like to use, but I would try the Meisterkuglen first as it is a classic pellet from the same time period as your rifle and it still gives a "premium" result, but is less expensive that some of the top pellets (such as R10) that have become available since the birth of your Model 75.

Now that you have a good MPL legal match rifle - why not put it to good use over 6 of those 8 yards that you have available and enter the MPL postal competition with it?

This is an "easy going" competition aimed mainly at spring powered ( but not exclusively) classic airguns such as yours and the details can be read here on the BBS.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....petition-Rules
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Thanks for the response , I'll try a tin of those in 8.2 gr.

I see they do two weights / slight size differences .

The model 75 needs a service and then I need to practise.

Meisterkugein 8.2 gr

4.49 or 4.50 head size fir the Model 75 barrel ?

Dismiss the 7 gr for pistols I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
    Meisterkugein 8.2 gr

4.49 or 4.50 head size fir the Model 75 barrel ?

Dismiss the 7 gr for pistols I assume.
    Hi Steve,

Back in the early '70s we only had one size and weight that we used for everything (!) - that seems strange now, but thats the way it was!

Give "pistol weight" size 4.50 Meisterkugeln a try and see if any of the other more recent options ( size and weight) make any noticeable difference.

You have already shot GECO and found they worked OK - and you had no choice of size ( 4.49 or 4.50) or weight ( pistol or rifle) so why not try that with the Meisterkugeln and if it works you can use them in your pistols too!

Bob.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.