Thread: steyr semi auto

steyr semi auto

or if you like self indexing.remember all the hoo hah about this gun back in the day.glad to say that most fears where greatly exaggerated.i owned the standard h5 scout fantastic,utterly accurate rifle.human nature dictates that you need better,so i went for the semi auto,sorry self indexing.i use my rifles for hunting,and as such as airgunners we are trained for one shot to the head or if very confident heart lung.not once have i used the semi auto feature,yes you dont have to recock but that is the only gain that i can see.maybe fun for plinking,dont tend to plink much.nice to have,bit like launch control on a performance car.

I had a full length semi for a year or so and would have another tomorrow if I could afford it. I got rid of mine for two reasons, first it didn't do for me what I had hoped it would, that is to allow me a second shot while still on aim, and secondly the quasi-legal issues were being driven in the wrong direction and frankly I got cold feet. So, thanks to all you doubting Thomases, and it wasn't just Thomas, you know who you are, and so do I.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I had a full length semi for a year or so and would have another tomorrow if I could afford it. I got rid of mine for two reasons, first it didn't do for me what I had hoped it would, that is to allow me a second shot while still on aim, and secondly the quasi-legal issues were being driven in the wrong direction and frankly I got cold feet. So, thanks to all you doubting Thomases, and it wasn't just Thomas, you know who you are, and so do I.
    Yep I am loving my Steyr scout sa and can’t see any rifle out there to replace it ! Rich why couldn’t you get off a second shot while still on aim? Mine will single hole on rapid fire witout moving position. Great gun and great fun .

[QUOTE=Rich;7598275]I had a full length semi for a year or so and would have another tomorrow if I could

Lucky boy.

[QUOTE=gingernut;7598484]
    I had a full length semi for a year or so and would have another tomorrow if I could

Not just me who chuckled at that then
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

There are some mucky minded individuals, aren't there?

I shoot a lot of LSR, paper punching standing at 20 yards and 25 metres. I was at a competition and the adjacent shooter was using a Ruger 10/22 semi auto with a 5 shot clip. He was single shotting and sometimes letting two off in very quick succession.

I asked him about his technique and he said, rightly, the first rule of target shooting is, only pull the trigger when the cross hairs are on the bull. When I fire my Ruger, he went on, the recoil makes the muzzle flip, and if when it comes down I am still exactly on aim I'll pull the trigger again. You can't do that, he said, with your bolt action rifle, and you have to break position and reacquire it for every shot.

Not wishing to be at a disadvantage, I got hold of a H5 SA. It was a superb piece of kit. However, it's almost recoil free, so the effect that the Ruger displayed was not repeated with the H5, and it ended up with me having to work to stay on aim, rather more than I did with the S410 which I used to use, and use now.

I had some excellent results with the Steyr; here's a ten shot practice card, 20 yards standing using JSB Exact Jumbo 15.9 grain pellets.

There are some mucky minded individuals, aren't there?

I shoot a lot of LSR, paper punching standing at 20 yards and 25 metres. I was at a competition and the adjacent shooter was using a Ruger 10/22 semi auto with a 5 shot clip. He was single shotting and sometimes letting two off in very quick succession.

I asked him about his technique and he said, rightly, the first rule of target shooting is, only pull the trigger when the cross hairs are on the bull. When I fire my Ruger, he went on, the recoil makes the muzzle flip, and if when it comes down I am still exactly on aim I'll pull the trigger again. You can't do that, he said, with your bolt action rifle, and you have to break position and reacquire it for every shot.

Not wishing to be at a disadvantage, I got hold of a H5 SA. It was a superb piece of kit. However, it's almost recoil free, so the effect that the Ruger displayed was not repeated with the H5, and it ended up with me having to work to stay on aim, rather more than I did with the S410 which I used to use, and use now.

I had some excellent results with the Steyr; here's a ten shot practice card, 20 yards standing using JSB Exact Jumbo 15.9 grain pellets.

Good shooting Rich

Conversely if you wanted to just chuck lead down range it is possible to let off 5 shots in under 1 second, we used a iphone recording from 1st to 5th shot and then measured the time and the fastest was something like .87 of a second

Thanks Tone.

Of course it's statistics like that, 5 full power 11.9 fpe shots in under a second, that make this rifle the weapon of choice for terrorists. Not.

you must have a very fast finger,dont think i could manage that

I bought one a few months ago and from day one it shot in lines if you tried to shoot all 5 one after another
    We tried differently scopes fixing down to a bench rest so it can’t move and it still shot of in lines in one direction
    I thought it was maybe a pressure fault and that’s why it shot in lines but it would shot lines of at 4 o’clock and next mag would shoot from 12 upwards
    This can prove it’s not a pressure problem because it would shoot up ,then down then sideways
    It took it to the club and it shot like a shotgun at 25m and that’s with five different top class shooters
    It then when back to Simon who said I had over oiled it
    Myself and the rfd know this is rubbish because it shot like this from day one
    After getting it back the rfd couldn’t get it to shoot properly but blames the falcon pellets
    I then took it back to the club and it was still like a shotgun
    The rfd refunded my money and I bought a red wolf hilight that’s shoots pellet on pellet at 25m
    I will never buy a steyr again as the first message I sent them they said they had never heard of one doing this not shooting on the same point of aim with consecutive shots
    I know of five people who have had same problem
    So someone is telling porkies
    As the guys at the club said it would make a great shotgun or a beautiful wall hanger
    Last edited by Shocker; 21-11-2018 at 09:34 PM.

A .22 in 40J would be the way to go!