Thread: Clubman Shooting Spectacles - British Made!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Clubman Shooting Spectacles - British Made!

Over the last few weeks I have been testing the new Clubman Shooting Spectacles that have been designed for use when shooting target pistols.

These "shooting glasses" are just a bit different to all the others that I have seen as they have been recently designed and made in the UK and have been manufactured using the 3D printing process and carbon fibre shafts.

In short they look different, are very adjustable, work really well, are available in a variety of custom colours, and maybe the best bit of all is that they are nothing like as expensive as the Champion and Olympic glasses that I already have - and yet they fit me better and work every bit as well!

When I have bought a set of expensive shooting glasses previously the next expense (and delay in getting them into action) is the necessary trip to my optician to get a special lens made to suit my eyesight and the size of the lens holder that came with the glasses.

A simple fix that works really well with these shooting specs is to take a look through a set of the cheap reading glasses that can be found for sale in most supermarkets (and many other sources) and choose a size that allows you to read the small print at arms length. Make a note of the magnification that works for you ( ie +1.25) and let the Clubman maker know, and this size can be supplied already fitted.

Sound too simple? Well I have a small choice of different power lens here that I have been able to let others try and use and they really do seem to work well - and spare lens can come already mounted in a "lollipop" shaped holder that can be fitted directly into your frames - and at a fraction of the cost of a "proper" lens from your optician.

Of course you still have the option of having your optician make a lens to fit into a spare "lollipop" holder - but everyone who has tested these so far seem to be more than happy with the quality of vision provided by these inexpensive lens that the frame maker can supply.

There is no version of these shooting glasses developed for rifle shooting (yet) but hopefully these will follow as I have already had comments about how easy it would be to make an off-set nose piece and a smaller sized lens to suite the rifle shooters requirements.

A well known local pistol shooter has always shot with a variety of ready made reading glasses ( probably chosen the same way as suggested above) with various treatments to the non aiming eye piece ( masking tape, rubbing the lens with wet and dry paper to make it opaque etc), but when he tested mine he also found the benefit that the optional iris gave as it helped the head to remain in the same position every time.

He has now actually parted with some cash and bought himself a pair - quite an achievement for a life long miser who has made do with his £2.99 special's for years!
    Last edited by zooma; 20-11-2018 at 01:32 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.