Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HW35 With Rotating Piston

That's great Mick, you can go into mass production now! How long / how many rusting and boiling cycles does it take to achieve the final finish? I have never seen a rust blued finish up close, can a mirror finish be achieved? For some reason I imagine it to be matt. Also, a piccy of the John Deere in the background wouldn't go amiss either
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    That's great Mick, you can go into mass production now! How long / how many rusting and boiling cycles does it take to achieve the final finish? I have never seen a rust blued finish up close, can a mirror finish be achieved? For some reason I imagine it to be matt. Also, a piccy of the John Deere in the background wouldn't go amiss either

It's worth me getting set up properly as I have at least 20 guns to black and I may have a few custom tattoo machines to do as well.

In the summer months with no additional heating the first rusting took about 8 hours to develope, further rustings took 24 hours and about 10 rusts were required until the rusting stopped.

With the heated wheely bin the first rust took just three hours so did the second, third and fourth, after that I was rusting and boiling every 8 hours until it stopped rusting --- in all I rusted about 9 rustings

Fume/rust bluing is more of a satin finish like you find on old prewar shotguns, I think Holland and Holland and Purdey still rust blue their barrels ?

And as requested, me on the Quigley Hollow lawnmower :-

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

In the bottom tank is an electric oil filled radiator with thermostat control so I can adjust the temperature, this warms the underside of the B&Q planter which is set into the wooden top of the bottom tank.
    The hinged lid is made out of thick timber to act as insulation and also to give weight to compress the B&Q draught excluder sealing the lid to the bottom tank when closed.

And it only cost me £16.75 in parts.

All the best Mick
    That looks great... I've seen some good setups.. a guy in the states sent me pics of his when I was setting mine up.. he had a 5' Fish tank which was awesome.

I experimented with a piece of 12" galvanised chimney, that I hung the parts in vertically, and hooked up a wallpaper steamer to the side of. I was hoping to combine the rusting and 'boiling' into one unit that didn't take ages to boil like the tank I was using.... it didn't work. The rusting was aggressive at the bottom where I sat the acid, and it didn't really steam that good either. I think it would work with a much larger chamber, well sealed.
    Donald

[

image.jpg[/QUOTE]

Happy days to come, not getting much use now!

It's worth me getting set up properly as I have at least 20 guns to black and I may have a few custom tattoo machines to do as well.

In the summer months with no additional heating the first rusting took about 8 hours to develope, further rustings took 24 hours and about 10 rusts were required until the rusting stopped.

With the heated wheely bin the first rust took just three hours so did the second, third and fourth, after that I was rusting and boiling every 8 hours until it stopped rusting --- in all I rusted about 9 rustings

Fume/rust bluing is more of a satin finish like you find on old prewar shotguns, I think Holland and Holland and Purdey still rust blue their barrels ?

image.jpg
    Cheers Mick, that's a nice tidy 2850, jealous!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

It's Alive !

So after blacking I've polished out the cylinder, sized an old Knibbs red seal, slightly altered the latch and rebuilt her.
    The only Spring I had to hand was a well used old school HW50 Spring which fitted perfectly.

With a 13"" 0.22" barrel I'm getting this :-

Superdome averaging 590 feet per second.

Hobby averaging 670 feet per second.

So after blacking I've polished out the cylinder, sized an old Knibbs red seal, slightly altered the latch and rebuilt her.
    The only Spring I had to hand was a well used old school HW50 Spring which fitted perfectly.

With a 13"" 0.22" barrel I'm getting this :-

Superdome averaging 590 feet per second.

Hobby averaging 670 feet per second.

Sounds like a result
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    try it with FAPs... sounds like it dislikes large/tight pellets, and likes light ones.

FAP might make it quite warm (and shoot very nicely too)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

A result indeed.

As JB says, certainly worth a go with the Falcons / JSB RS. Although my recently de-tuned Supersport did actually make a little more power with the Hobbies despite them being a very tight fit.

A little scooe for de-tuning slightly and making it even sweeter?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    try it with FAPs... sounds like it dislikes large/tight pellets, and likes light ones.

FAP might make it quite warm (and shoot very nicely too)
    I'll get back into it in the morning, Jon, I had to abandon it this afternoon as a rush job came in.

I still have a few tidy up jobs to do on the gun, I designed the piston to have 2mm clearance with the cocking arm, the Knibbs seal I used turned out to be 1mm shorter than a Weihrauch seal so cutting the clearance down to 1mm --- a quick file of the cocking arm will sort that, or I'll just get a new genuine seal.

The barrel looks like it could do with checking for straight and given a quick tweak, it's also crying out for a barrel weight come cocking aid, so while I have the .22" barrel off I may as well fit my spare .177" K barrel and run a chrono string with that.

So far so good though.

Top work Mick Just too long till we all get to ogle/slobber all over it

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefan View Post
    24 sleeps until Boxing Day, Gav.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    24 sleeps until Boxing Day, Gav.
    Oh yea I'd forgotten that sooner than I thought

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefan View Post
    It just looks like every other 35k, Gav, but it's lazerglided and long stroked.

I suppose you'll want a caggie handed stock on it ?

It just looks like every other 35k, Gav, but it's lazerglided and long stroked.

I suppose you'll want a caggie handed stock on it ?
    Well it might look like every other 35k but we know it isn't If you should happen to have a stock resembling that description then I wouldn't say no if you fitted it There are very few examples left in the wild up North most have been herded into IJ's coral.
    Iwas actually thinking of the rust blued finish you have been working on .