Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ge600/MEC/Unique/Esprit Carabine. Free floating barrel???

Ge600/MEC/Unique/Esprit Carabine. Free floating barrel???

So, everyone knows that a target rifle has a free floating barrel....... Why does the Esprit Carabine offer a clamped barrel option?

The original GE600, Mec, Unique etc was in my opinion gorgeous looking stock, and one I'd love to have shot with. Missed opportunities and poor timing prevented this.
    However, I'm now in a position to possibly purchase a new stock and the new version is looking good, the clamped version has peaked my interest as I'm thinking I could swap between actions without the need for an adapter, I now also own a non standard centre 10 rifle, a stock to fit would be custom, a barrel clamping one wouldn't....

But a target rifle has to be free floating? Yes???
    Can anyone give me reasons to think otherwise?

Bing!

Target barrels don't have to be free floating. It's been the norm for many years, but not the only way. The BSA Internationals (bar the Mk III) were full-length bedded, and shot pretty well. The first Dewar 400 on the 1989 prone targets was shot with a 1950s Mk 2.

Free floating is/was popular because it isolates the barrel's firing vibrations from uneven pressure. Wood stocks were the only option when free-floating became popular. Wood can move with changes in temperature and humidity. It also has to be carefully fitted to ensure a good fit all along the barrel. Free-floating is both a precaution and a manufacturing quick step. However free-floating does put a greater load on the receiver. Hence many gunsmiths would bed under the barrel for support when epoxy bedding a wood stock.

Clamping a barrel isn't new. The EC's double clamp is derived from another French design, the Unique X-Concept. This was pretty rare over here, but won the Men's 3-P at the Sydney Olympics. The idea is to reduce the stress on the barrel, but still allow vibration. The clamps are rubber lined; the original X-Concept had sleeves, where the EC has o-rings. On both the clamps can be moved to tune the vibrations.

Thanks Tim,
    I was unaware of the Olympic win.
    I shall have to have a serious look into the tuning/clamping side of things, if it's not a straight forward "clamping" of the barrel I'll need to know what I'm letting myself in for. Would a simple tightening of the clamp negate any barrel accuracy, that sort of thing. I'm happy to test and tune of course but it would be nice to just clamp and go.

Thanks,

Bing!

From descriptions the clamps are not intended to be mega tight, just enough to hold the barrel. The rubber ring inside may mitigate a little too much pressure, as well as allowing vibration.

I think it's the position of the clamps along the fore-end that would affect tune.

Thanks again Tim,

In future I may just PM you directly

; )

Bing!

Hello to All,

As an interesting aside, some Russian 3P rifles used barrel-blocks/clamps in the 1950/1960s.

My Izhmash Strela 3 3P rifle from the 60s has such a barrel block - the action & barrel are free floating, and the clamp is the sole part screwed into the stock.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Hi Russ,

So, a single clamping block forward of the action? Therefore a good portion of barrel still free to float and a stress free action?

Bing!

Bing,

Yup - bedding block is shown in below photo.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Nice looking period rifle Russ - what calibre is it?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Nice looking period rifle Russ - what calibre is it?
    .22LR, the Strela was a Smallbore. These were made at the Izhvesk arsenal, and I think developed into the Ural 5 and 6 rifles used by many soviet shooters in the '80s and' 90s.

I'm not sure if there was a 300m CF version.

Quote Originally Posted by tim s View Post
    .22LR, the Strela was a Smallbore. These were made at the Izhvesk arsenal, and I think developed into the Ural 5 and 6 rifles used by many soviet shooters in the '80s and' 90s.

I'm not sure if there was a 300m CF version.
    Now that would make an interesting alternative to a Martini at the local club eh?

Really nice !

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Think the new FWB2800 has a barrel clamp/tuning device ?

https://www.feinwerkbau.de/New-Small-Bore-Rifle
    ATB, Gordon.
    Professional Ferret Juggler

Now that would make an interesting alternative to a Martini at the local club eh?

Really nice !
    The NSRA sold (and possibly imported) various Soviet rifles in the 1960s; the Strela, MTS12 (Tula arsenal equivalent) and the "Vostok" CM2 Standard Rifles. A club mate had a Strela 2, which I shot once or twice. These are big rifles; the barrel is 28 or 29in, so much the same as a BSA International, but on a longer bolt action.

Quote Originally Posted by tim s View Post
    The NSRA sold (and possibly imported) various Soviet rifles in the 1960s; the Strela, MTS12 (Tula arsenal equivalent) and the "Vostok" CM2 Standard Rifles. A club mate had a Strela 2, which I shot once or twice. These are big rifles; the barrel is 28 or 29in, so much the same as a BSA International, but on a longer bolt action.
    Its enough to make me want to take up .22 rim fire shooting again (but with a rifle this time!).

Its enough to make me want to take up .22 rim fire shooting again (but with a rifle this time!).
    The barrels should be capable of high scores on the current prone targets. I suspect few owners clocked up enough mileage to degrade accuracy; many may need a damn good clean though.

The stocks won't fit as well as a modern match, unless you're lucky but you don't expect that for the price. And it's not hard to modify the cheekpiece. I believe that the factory intended stocks to be modified as required.