Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfectionism can take you places maybe you shouldn’t go? Opinions from the sane

Perfectionism can take you places maybe you shouldn’t go? Opinions from the sane

When I bought my CZ VZ35, the only imperfection was a obvious replacement of the butt plate. The screw holes were altered and I had to finish it flush with the wood in a few areas. The Antonio Zoli trademark had to go so that was a easy fix and I could leave it like this? The philips screws even bother me! Actually it looks fine now most would never notice? But given there is a circle for a logo I thought what about a period Czechslovakian coin. Found a 1938 coin cheap (the last year made thanks to the Germans) and it had the Czechslovakian national crest. Could inlay it in or is that just being nuts?

Here is a link to pics of the butt plate madness:

https://imgur.com/a/OV1yWXa

No, not nuts at all. Superb idea!

I don't like those Phillips screws either. Just not period enough.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

On the subject of perfectionism generally, two words guaranteed to get a reaction from my granddad were “That’ll do”. (Ok, technically three words)

Given that he was a shipwright working on submarines for the Royal Navy, though, it was probably a good thing that he was a perfectionist.

All his mates were the same

Being similarly afflicted,(Virgo)lol I think it's a great idea and agree the Phillips screws should go!

The philips heads will go but I need to find quality screws which isn’t easy any more.

Finally finished mounting my 1938 Czechoslovakia coin to the replacement butt plate I found on my CZ VZ35. Had to grind the coin thinner and hammer it to fit the butt plate curve. Looks better than before and adds a little proper history?

Looks cool, nice job! what an awesome stock, never seen it before, just the plain ones.
    Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana

Hmm?

Not convinced about this to be honest, entirely up to you obviously, but the butpad it came with looked good, & that was its history, just my two penneth,
    J.
    ok, I admit it, I've got a problem.
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.uk/[url]

Quote Originally Posted by 1shot1kill View Post
    Not convinced about this to be honest, entirely up to you obviously, but the butpad it came with looked good, & that was its history, just my two penneth,
    J.
    Interesting point but to me the Antonia Zoli just drove me nuts cause it is a obvious replacement, even the Philip head screw will be replaced with period slot screws. Now I added my history to the wonderful rifle. Plus brought it back to be a shooter. All good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Looks cool, nice job! what an awesome stock, never seen it before, just the plain ones.
    Here is a link to all the carving if you didn’t see the original post?

https://imgur.com/gallery/nOXMHfO

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    When I bought my CZ VZ35, the only imperfection was a obvious replacement of the butt plate. The screw holes were altered and I had to finish it flush with the wood in a few areas. The Antonio Zoli trademark had to go so that was a easy fix and I could leave it like this? The philips screws even bother me! Actually it looks fine now most would never notice? But given there is a circle for a logo I thought what about a period Czechslovakian coin. Found a 1938 coin cheap (the last year made thanks to the Germans) and it had the Czechslovakian national crest. Could inlay it in or is that just being nuts?

Here is a link to pics of the butt plate madness:

https://imgur.com/a/OV1yWXa

Not a helpful response, but just had to say: what a beautiful gun!

Just as a matter of interest, what was under the replacement Butt Pad when you removed it ?

Lakey

Hi,
    I tend to agree with you to remove the name on the butt pad because Antonio Solo has nothing to do with CZ.
    Having said that, I would have opted for a plain butt pad, perhaps a slightly distressed one in keeping with the gun's age, but you be the judge of that.
    I like the sleek look and clean lines of the CZ, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Just as a matter of interest, what was under the replacement Butt Pad when you removed it ?

Lakey
    Nothing was under the replacement Butt Pad. You could see that the original screw holes were filled and redrilled given the holes of the replacement were slightly different.

I think part of the reasoning for using the coin is that it is the year the gun was made and it had the national crest on it, the same crest is found on earlier versions of the VZ35 but is absent on the last version which is mine. My theory on why the crest was removed is that in the last year of manufacture Germany occupied the country?

Last edited by 45flint; 11-04-2020 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Nothing was under the replacement Butt Pad. You could see that the original screw holes were filled and redrilled given the holes of the replacement were slightly different.

I think part of the reasoning for using the coin is that it is the year the gun was made and it had the national crest on it, the same crest is found on earlier versions of the VZ35 but is absent on the last version which is mine. My theory on why the crest was removed is that in the last year of manufacture Germany occupied the country?

I have to say the coin looks very good, bet cutting it in was a hard job?