Thread: New Benchrest organisation: BenchrestUK

Red face New Benchrest organisation: BenchrestUK

Portishead Shooting Club saw the first AGM of BenchrestUK at the weekend: http://www.benchrestuk.com/

They plan to run indoor and outdoor Postal competitions next year and sponsor head to head outdoor comps at various clubs.

They also see the need to be flexible in the way people shoot off a rest to bring together the NSRA and European and World rules at UK level.

This organisation will be the official link into the European and World comps, where obviously we have to abide by their rules, but in terms of UK comps go you can shoot the NSRA style if that is what you prefer.

It was good to see Neil from SWEFTA come along at my invite to see how things are run and it looks like their is growing interest in the South West for all things Benchrest.

I am also hearing of other clubs around the country setting up their own benchrest comps for their members and getting a high take up, often times getting people involved in competitive shooting for the first time.

Benchrest

will keep an eye on this, couple of us in our club started UKBR22 postal around 18 months or so ago, quickly followed by midlands league into which we now enter 4 teams.
    Benchrest has been very good for our club, it has allowed a couple of the older shooters to get back into shooting after they have had to give up on smallbore prone, and we've had a couple of older guys join who wouldn't really have a lot to shoot competition wise if it wasn't for benchrest.

will be interested in the postal leagues when they start, pretty sure a few will want to enter.

AirArms TDR .177
    AirArms Ultimate Sporter .177
    Daystate AirWolf FAC .22

So is BenchrestUK (in a roundabout way) replacing UKBR22 then?

My understanding was that there was some internal spat which resulted in UKBR22 withdrawing from WRABF, and that the NSRA took up the official "UK" registration in order to allow UK shooters to attend the European/World Championships, and maybe even ran a couple of International-Rule comps in parallel with their NSRA-Rule comps?

Have they jacked that in then or delegated it back to the new BenchrestUK org?

I notice UKBR22 still have their website up, with recently updated news posts and seem to be running comps - where do they fit in these days? Just a UK org running domestic comps for UK shooters?
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Quote Originally Posted by Hemmers View Post
    So is BenchrestUK (in a roundabout way) replacing UKBR22 then?

My understanding was that there was some internal spat which resulted in UKBR22 withdrawing from WRABF, and that the NSRA took up the official "UK" registration in order to allow UK shooters to attend the European/World Championships, and maybe even ran a couple of International-Rule comps in parallel with their NSRA-Rule comps?

Have they jacked that in then or delegated it back to the new BenchrestUK org?

I notice UKBR22 still have their website up, with recently updated news posts and seem to be running comps - where do they fit in these days? Just a UK org running domestic comps for UK shooters?
    The UKBR22 is still with us .Benchrest UK is another group that have set up their own association cos they were unhappy with the way the UKBR22 was run.The Postal comps for the UKBR22 will continue as they have over the last number of years and still has a strong membership.
    Huddersfield rifle club and the Yorkshire Shooting Centre will also continue to provide Shoulder to Shoulder competition s Throughout 2019 with some comps including comps for the 10 spot card as used by the Midland League ..
    Competition is good for shooting so I wish the new association success with their venture.

Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    Competition is good for shooting so I wish the new association success with their venture.
    Demand for competitions is a good thing.

Whilst I wish everybody success, having multiple bodies all claiming to be the Governing Body for Benchrest is a bad thing - it confuses newcomers and indeed onlookers and other shooters around the periphery who can't make head nor tail of how it's all organised. If anything we need significantly fewer bodies rather than more. The sport is horribly fragmented.

UKBR22 state the following on their home page:
    To introduce our selves we are the United Kingdom Association of Rimfire & Air Rifle Benchrest Shooting (UKBR22). By that we mean "True Benchrest Shooting". The Association is recognised by rimfire shooters across the UK as the representative body that promotes air rifle and rimfire benchrest across the country and with partners in other countries.
    Clearly if they're not the nominated UK body to represent at WRABF and ERABSF, then that last sentence is untrue.

Just to be clear, the NSRA have ceded control as the UK's representative body at WRABF over to the new BenchrestUK org? So BenchrestUK can legitimately claim to be the UK's National Governing Body for Benchrest and WRABF would agree?
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Benchrest

Hi Hemmers,just to be clear the WRABF have control of just their European Championships and a version of their World Championships,all other comps are run by their home associations
    At present all the new body. An lay claim to is that they represent a body that allows their members to shoot in 2 comps over a 4 year period,most other benchrest competitions in Europe are open to any shooter that wants to take part.So in effect Benchrest UK only represents those 9or 10 shooters that have the where with all to travel to South Africa for the next world WRABF world championships.
    The UKBR22 is still the body for the WBSF World Championships and if you look at the. numbers for the UKBR22 you will see it still represents the majority of UK benchrest shooters in that code.
    Maybe that will change,but at the moment Benchrest UK is just a name.

comp photos

Here are the photos from last weeks BenchrestUK comp at Portishead :

https://www.benchrestuk.com/gallery/...ishead-shoots/

and results

Tone,

How does one join BenchrestUK ?

The 'joining' page has no joining informations

I have sent an email to the Admin.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Tone,

How does one join BenchrestUK ?

The 'joining' page has no joining informations

I have sent an email to the Admin.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ
    Hi Russ, let me know if you have any problems and I will put you in touch with Richard direct.

Tony

I attended the recent event at Portishead to meet up with Tony and have a look at how a BR competition is run. I was also there to meet with Colin from UKBR22 and pick up some targets for out fledgling SWEFTA br league.

It was a fascinating to see how the event was run, everyone was extremely friendly and helpful.