Thread: BSA Meteor. Mk1 Titan XS mainspring

BSA Meteor. Mk1 Titan XS mainspring

Hi all,
    I have a acquired a mk1 meteor which is in need of a decent service. Is there any real benefit in using something like the Titan XS over a standard mainspring as it appears to be almost twice the price? Any owners who have experience much appreciated.
    Regards

In my experience none whatsoever,unless you're keen on metalwork.

Stick to a standard item

Thanks piggy.
    No, I just want to get it running correctly as a bit of a project.
    Regards

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    nah, way too stiff a spring.

Protek do a meteor spring that's cheap and makes enough power without destroying the gun...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Jim Maccari/Airrifle headquarters makes a spring that I use in all my meteors, it is quicker than the original spring without stressing the gun.
    Remember to fit a new tight rear guide, and a tophat with a washer in front too. Makes a BIG difference.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Jim Maccari/Airrifle headquarters makes a spring that I use in all my meteors, it is quicker than the original spring without stressing the gun.
    Remember to fit a new tight rear guide, and a tophat with a washer in front too. Makes a BIG difference.
    piston sleeve also helps a lot and costs 5 minutes...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks for the additional replies folks. I'll look into what you've said although couldn't get much from the Jim maccari site.. This rifle was getting binned. It's not it bad shape but I'm also no master tinkerer either. If I can getting it running okay I'll be happy. I know it needs a new spring and the piston washer has probably seen better days, although not rotten. I was just going to replace breech seal, piston seal and mainspring. Is it best to replace the piston buffer and washer as well? Apologies for the 'novice' diy questions.

Breech seal definitely,buffer washer if compressed,bearing washers tend to last forever,as do the leather piston seals.

If the piston moves slowly under its own weight, just give the seal a wipe with a mild solvent and dip it in some vegetable oil.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    Breech seal definitely,buffer washer if compressed,bearing washers tend to last forever,as do the leather piston seals.

If the piston moves slowly under its own weight, just give the seal a wipe with a mild solvent and dip it in some vegetable oil.
    Thanks piggy. I'll get them ordered Monday 👍

Another heads up for the protek Spring, though a steel sleeve gets chewed up with the cocking lever.

Picked up a standard spring and breech seal from chambers in the end. Piston washer was recoverable after a bit of a soak. Just need to source some decent lubricant now before rebuild.
    Thanks to all contributors on my post. There may be more questions to follow!

Barrow Bury St Edmunds duck hunting central

meteor

Great guns these,
    When your world is full of strange arrangements

And gravity won't pull you through

Quote Originally Posted by watchsapart View Post
    Great guns these,
    I hope so!

Worn spring - no point stressing the poor old Meteor.

I've just removed a worn spring (at half an inch shorter than standard) from a Lightning and which will be perfect for my project Meteor, to replace the three broken bits of spring that fell out when I last looked inside the poor old thing.

I was always under the impression that Meteor, Mercury, SuperSport etc springs were the same, and the very nice chap at Protek suggested as much just last week as I purchased a new one for the Lightning.

atb

Andy