Thread: Airgunner Magazine

Airgunner Magazine

This month's copy dropped through the letterbox yesterday and I've just managed a brief flick through.

Mixed emotions. Phill Price is leaving as the Editor. In his time there I feel the magazine has improved in huge leaps and bounds into a far higher quality read. And excellent mix of content and some excellent contributors.

We're not losing Phill altogether. Apparently he's going to be freelancing and we'll still be able to read his articles in Airgun World.

The very best of luck, Phill.

Dave Barham is taking up the reins of this much improved publication. Dave, the very best of luck in your new role and I hope you can continue on from Phill's fine work.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Just over half way through this month's fine issue, and Phill's last.

It really is an excellent one.

As said previously, under Phill's leadership and, no doubt, Mr D's expert watchful eye, this magazine has really come of age under Mr Price's captainship.

If you haven't read it of late, do yourself a favour and give it a go.

Many, many good writers with Gary Chillingworth, Mark Camoccio, Charlie Portlock and Neil Price being the stand-outs for me.

This month, Neil's technical stripdown article covers the FWB300S, a rifle that holds a special place in many a BBS members heart.

And Phill's done a quick review on those Baracuda FTs that I've been raving about of late.

Really hope the magazine continues in the quality direction it has been steered in with Mr Barham at the helm and I'm sure Terry will be there to guide and steer the good ship.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Don't buy them unless I have a deal , last time I had a code which gave me 6 months for £6 then another code after that ,same deal so 12 months for £12 .

Just waiting for another one

When Phill told me he was leaving there was a big part of me that felt that it would be hard to go on. Phill (and Matt before him) have helped me so much over the years and have always been happy to take a call or go the extra mile to help me become the writer that I am.

I'm looking forward to working with Dave and I hope that under his leadership we will get better and better.

Gary
    HFT Team England 2012 - 2013
    Incompetent writer for Airgunner
    UKAHFT, World and SiHFT Recoiling champ 2017

Your HFT reports are always both informative and amusing, young Gary.

And the story behind the "waterproof Daystate" brought back memories. Funny and alarming at the same time!

Keep up the good work.

As a rule i don't particularly like change, but as I told Phil, he needs to do what he feels is best for him at this time.
    I'm sure Dave will do a great job, and bring his unique talents to the job. In a situation like this rather than fill Phill's shoes as it were, its now up to Dave to take the magazine to the next level in his own way.
    I'm sure the Airgunner crew will be behind him all the way, as he will really need to hit the ground running.

We Airgunners are a thriving community and, even before the internet came along, the Airgun Press was instrumental in making us one. It's fueled our enthusiasm, informed and educated and helped turn us from isolated oddballs in fields to the collective group that we are now.

We owe The Press respect for that.

However, I have a problem with The Mags, more specifically, new gun and kit reviews. Largely, new product reviews seem to be ignoring or uncritical of faults/bad design, preferring to praise almost every new gun highly in (presumably) an attempt to keep Advertisers happy, the money rolling in and the ship afloat.

A lot of us are old and wise enough to recognise that these things are complicated and can be a tightrope balancing act on the editor's/reviewer's part but the downside is, if everything's the greatest gun ever, all credibility is lost.

I respectfully extend thanks to Phill for his past service to our sport, congratulations to Dave and I hope he'll shake things up and bring about a much needed change to one of the cornerstones of AirGunning.