Thread: Beeman C1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I must admit I've scanned the usual sales sites for a C1 more than once recently. Then onto carbine barreled Webleys...
    Good thread.

Here are photographs of my boxed .177 C1, as good as the day it left the shop;

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Here are photographs of my boxed .177 C1, as good as the day it left the shop;

Yours is one of the earliest, identical to mine, the first series started with 8? Some had a letter in front? Anyone have a serial number higher? Be interesting to speculate on how many were made. These aren’t a real common find over here? Interesting that all were Beeman rifles, but I guess he had the stock designed.

Last edited by 45flint; 07-12-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks for starting this thread, I had bought my C1 a year or two ago and kind of forgot about it as I quickly added to my collection. This thread gave me a change to explore it a bit more. It really is a very cool rifle. Made with Webley quality and love the compactness and the stock. It is very consistent in shooting if you seat the pellet, varing in FPS by only 1 or 2 FPS. As someone mentioned it is good to seat the pellet as I found as well the pellet can back out as you force close the barrel.

More probably useless thoughts on the C1. In the Bluebook of Airguns it subtracts 10% of value for later safety edition. Wonder the thought here? I read the later trigger is better aligned given the straight stock but also read the original trigger is milled the later was sinter? Does kind of go with what usually happened with airguns changes, they always seem to be cost effective?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    More probably useless thoughts on the C1. In the Bluebook of Airguns it subtracts 10% of value for later safety edition. Wonder the thought here? I read the later trigger is better aligned given the straight stock but also read the original trigger is milled the later was sinter? Does kind of go with what usually happened with airguns changes, they always seem to be cost effective?
    The later trigger was a much nicer item. Ok, the original triggers were machined parts but were a horrible design. I guess it will have been cheaper but it was a step in the right direction IMO. Nothing wrong with the quality of the later ones.

The real gems if you can get hold of one is the “2 stage” trigger used on the Xocet and Stingray, possibly one or two others. They retrofit into all the Vulcan & Tracker variants. It’s not a true 2 stage but is a much improved feel over the standard unit.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Quite often collectors will pay more for the first model, even if later versions are better to shoot.

It’s not always downhill. I think the heavier barrel of the Vulcan Series 2 makes for a nicer gun than the original, even more so in Series 3 guise with the better trigger. FWB 124/127 went from plastic trigger to metal, and a better front sight.

Anyway, the Blue Book isn’t gospel, more of a guide. It has some errors and omissions in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Quite often collectors will pay more for the first model, even if later versions are better to shoot.

It’s not always downhill. I think the heavier barrel of the Vulcan Series 2 makes for a nicer gun than the original, even more so in Series 3 guise with the better trigger. FWB 124/127 went from plastic trigger to metal, and a better front sight.

Anyway, the Blue Book isn’t gospel, more of a guide. It has some errors and omissions in it.
    I think your right though, collectors tend to go for the initial model. I do think the first ones had a cleaner look without the safety. Safety on a barrel cocker is kind of stupid really. Are you going to leave a spring gun cocked for a while? It’s more of a thing you forget to take off as you squeeze the first time? And then crap, I’ll try again.