Thread: Beeman C1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Does anyone know the approximate ratio between .177 & .22 models produced?

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    Does anyone know the approximate ratio between .177 & .22 models produced?

Cheers
    Greg
    I think every C1 I have seen in the U.K. was a .22”. Which makes sense in what’s basically a barn gun, and is also consistent with the 80s conviction that .22” was “more powerful”, “the hunting calibre”, “a man’s gun” etc, with .177”s only really suitable for target shooting or for pathetic weakling oddballs.

Whereas, by the 1970s, and certainly the 80s, the American market had got obsessed with muzzle velocity, and hence focussed on .177”.

So I strongly suspect that, in the round, the calibre split for the C1 was less unbalanced than, say, the Vulcan, which was mostly a U.K. market gun and made 90% (educated guess) in .22”.

So most of the .177”s are in the States. Most of the .22”s are in the U.K. Tightened (silly) import and export rules in both countries mean they are now mostly staying where they are.

By the way, I think the US market C1s were made to “export standard”, making somewhere between 11.99 and 14 ft-lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I think every C1 I have seen in the U.K. was a .22”. Which makes sense in what’s basically a barn gun, and is also consistent with the 80s conviction that .22” was “more powerful”, “the hunting calibre”, “a man’s gun” etc, with .177”s only really suitable for target shooting or for pathetic weakling oddballs.

Whereas, by the 1970s, and certainly the 80s, the American market had got obsessed with muzzle velocity, and hence focussed on .177”.

So I strongly suspect that, in the round, the calibre split for the C1 was less unbalanced than, say, the Vulcan, which was mostly a U.K. market gun and made 90% (educated guess) in .22”.

So most of the .177”s are in the States. Most of the .22”s are in the U.K. Tightened (silly) import and export rules in both countries mean they are now mostly staying where they are.

By the way, I think the US market C1s were made to “export standard”, making somewhere between 11.99 and 14 ft-lbs.
    Interesting. It was as I suspected really, when I think about it very few Vulcan's turn up in .177.

My C1 is actually in .177, but I do recall seeing other C1's in this calibre too.

Oddly mine came with a 7" slim Venom silencer fitted (as well as the original sights in a bag) which I'm desperate to remove and put back to standard. Only thing is the silencer is stuck on good and solid and I'm working on getting it off without damage to either item.

Cheers
    Greg