Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
Read the C-1 stock was designed by the famous custom stockmaker Gary Goudy for Beeman. I think the difference in this stock is it’s obvious straightness, but also it’s grip thickness. I compared it to my early Webley Mark 3 in pics below. The Mark 3 is much thinner and can be more easily gripped like a pistol with arm lower. What the C1 stock makes you do is hold the rifle with your right arm straight out? Puts your hand more over the stock and does keep this pretty powerful carbine more stable? This may actually give me better form, but the rifle seems to be more accurate than it should be. I also find the single stage triggers of these two Webleys to be pretty similar.

https://imgur.com/a/NshlMXx
C-1 works best with right elbow high, like an M1903 Springfield shot off-hand. As you say, the grip is quite thick (it needs to be to avoid breakageand the drop to heel is slight. Whatever it handles like, it does not handle like a good shotgun, or a Winchester 1894. It is different.

On the safeties issue, just skimmed back through Chris Thrale’s book. He has the C1 first reviewed in the April 83 edition of AGW (so, review written 2-3 months earlier?). By the December 84 issue of Airgunner, the C1 is advertised by Webley as “now fitted with a safety catch”.

Working from the adverts, Chris also suggests that the C1 largely dropped off the market (U.K. at least) from 1985-88, before reappearing, and then finally leaving the market in 1990-91.

Which is all kind of interesting, if you are me.