Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Beeman C1

I have a 1956 Webley Mark 3 in great condition that is 10 FP same with a 1960 Airsporter, typical in that era. I actually think this power is ideal for springers? Less harsh and I took my first squirrel with the Webley this fall.

I read about complains on the original trigger? I find it to be very good, one stage with great break? I find this trigger to be very similar to the Mark 3.
    Last edited by 45flint; 30-12-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I have a 1956 Webley Mark 3 in great condition that is 10 FP same with a 1960 Airsporter, typical in that era. I actually think this power is ideal for springers? Less harsh and I took my first squirrel with the Webley this fall.

I read about complains on the original trigger? I find it to be very good, one stage with great break? I find this trigger to be very similar to the Mark 3.
    I agree. Also about the trigger: the original one is great on my C1. Very crisp.
    The other trigger I bought from Knibbs, which is an original Vulcan/C1 trigger, but for a later model, does not work as well in my C1.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    I have found a Beeman C1.
    It's a .22 with safety. Serial no. H777695
    Tonight I disassembled the gun.

It was difficult to get the mainspring retaining pin out. I think Loctite was the reason. After quite some heating, I was able to get it out with a pin punch.
    Also the end block is a tight fit; I needed a pin and a hammer to get it out of the cylinder. It was a bit scary, with the mainspring pushing on the end block.
    The gun was low on power, about 7 ft/lbs. Soft to shoot, with quite a light and nice trigger, but the C1 is capable of much higher power.
    Apart from rejuvenating the internals, I also need to fit a new barrel, as unfortunately the rifling of this one has 2 deep scratches - it groups like a shotgun.

I had previously ordered a spring, spring guide and top hot from Maccari.
    Might also try a spring, spring guide and top hat from a UK seller on , to experience the difference.
    The Maccari spring is about the same length as the old one, but stiffer. (The top hat isn't square onto the spring; the spring end isn't totally flat. Not sure if this is an issue. I think that a flat spring end would be better).
    I had also sourced new breech seals, a piston seal and a different trigger from Knibbs.
    The red piston seal replaces the original ptfe washer. That one has a few scratches on the sides. I've read that some people have fitted an o-ring as a piston seal, but I think this red Knibbs one will work well.

I am used to working on Meteors (I love Meteors!). This C1 is finished to a much higher standard. All edges are smooth. The inside of the cylinder is very smooth. The piston looks nice. No burrs anywhere. I don't think I'll need to do any work with my diamond files, wet&dry and autosol, except for the trigger mech. What a relief!
    As a comparison: a photo of the C1 next to my now best performing Meteor, a Mk5 that is very nice to shoot and accurate (2 cm groups at 35 meters and easy plinking at 50 meters).

Cheers

Amazingly short barrel on the Meteor,may I ask how that has affected the gun power-wise?

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Amazingly short barrel on the Meteor,may I ask how that has affected the gun power-wise?
    I was wondering exactly the same thing!

Hi mrto and AllanM, it's a carbine Lightning barrel. I installed it because the original Meteor barrel had scratches on the inside, and the crown was bad - I couldn't hit a proverbial barn door with it. The short barrel turns out to be better for me: it might be just in my head, but I think that the shorter lock time makes it easier to be accurate. Also I just like compact guns. Don't understand why for instance the HW35 was sold with extremely long barrels (is this the "Luxus" variant?). With pcp's I understand that a long barrel is more efficient. John Bowkett demonstrated that pellet speed increases in the barrel of a springer past the previously holy 12 inches (iirc), but power is not my main objective with this Meteor.

Anyway, I had a look at my notes.
    I couldn't find two Meteor tests where the only variable was the barrel length. Will have to install my standard length Spitfire barrel to give you the answer. That one is choked, don't know if that will have an effect. I think tbh that there won't be much of a difference speed wise.
    Last edited by jirushi; 31-12-2018 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    I mrto and AllanM, it's a carbine Lightning barrel. I installed it because the original Meteor barrel had scratches on the inside, and the crown was bad - I couldn't hit a proverbial barn door with it. The short barrel turns out to be better for me: it might be just in my head, but I think that the shorter lock time makes it easier to be accurate. Also I just like compact guns. Don't understand why for instance the HW35 was sold with extremely long barrels (is this the "Luxus" variant?). With pcp's I understand that a long barrel is more efficient. John Bowkett demonstrated that pellet speed increases in the barrel of a springer past the previously holy 12 inches (iirc), but power is not my main objective with this Meteor.

Anyway, I had a look at my notes.
    I couldn't find two Meteor tests where the only variable was the barrel length. Will have to install my standard length Spitfire barrel to give you the answer. That one is choked, don't know if that will have an effect. I think tbh that there won't be much of a difference speed wise.

Thank you,I like the 'ultra' carbine look of your Meteor and as a bit of a Meteor fan myself I would be interested to try such a set up.As for HW35's it was the "Export" model that had the 22" barrel,but I think at a time when far less was known about air gun ballistics,power and contributing factors.

I would imagine in the shorter barrel the pellet would not yet be up to its full potential speed wise in the Meteor,but as you say the full length barrel will at least give you another point of reference.

ATB.
    Last edited by mrto; 30-12-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Thank you,I like the 'ultra' carbine look of your Meteor and as a bit of a Meteor fan myself I would be interested to try such a set up.As for HW35's it was the "Export" model that had the 22" barrel,but I think at a time when far less was known about air gun ballistics,power and contributing factors.

I would imagine in the shorter barrel the pellet would not yet be up to its full potential speed wise in the Meteor,but as you say the full length barrel will at least give you another point of reference.

ATB.
    Back in the day.

35 standard barrel length was 19”.

Luxus was 19” with nice walnut stock.

Export was 22” with slightly different nice walnut stock.

As mrto says, less was known then, and, also, iron sights were still used, so longer sight radius was popular. But many thought the stupidly long barrel would indeed be more powerful, which it wasn’t.