Thread: New Tikka TX1 17hmr mini review.

New Tikka TX1 17hmr mini review.

Picked up my new Tikka TX1 last weekend and took it out for a few shots to bed it in, trigger was way too heavy out of the box, scope was too high and I had a few light primer strikes resulting in non firing rounds. Having said that I still managed a 5 shot group at 100yds well under 1” so although not the best of starts I knew things were looking good and minor initial niggles could be sorted.

A quick google regarding the light primer strikes pointed to the fact that the guns are sold with thick black moly grease in the bolt internals, this became apparent on stripping the bolt so a good douse in petrol to de grease and reassembled with a light mist of oil and that was sorted.
    The trigger was a 5min job to adjust and with a lighter pull it’s a nice crisp break.
    I’ve been waiting all week for a picatinny rail to arrive so I can switch scopes/NV etc that’s now fitted but even with the Photon on the lowest mounts the comb is too low, I like to have a good solid cheek weld so a comb rising kit has been added for the perfect eye alignment, just a personal thing some folk would say it’s fine I’m sure.
    All set and niggles sorted so last night I got hunkered down with the range finder and dialed the Photon in, the bolt is silky smooth and a joy to cock, no sign of a miss fire so any new owners your first job should be to remove the grease from the bolt internals,even with the bipod fitted the balance is spot on and not top heavy.
    Once happy I set off around my perm to see what was about.
    Got to say I’m well impressed, shot 4 rabbits and a couple of Hares out to 100yds and as expected it’s pretty much point and shoot between 40 and 110yds, didn’t go any further than that but there’s certainly more to be had when I’ve got more use under my belt.

Overall I’m very happy, it was a toss up between this and the CZ and for me I made the right choice, the bolt and safety are more user friendly,good trigger, the 10 round magazine is a bonus and doesn’t protrude too much, some don’t like the composite stocks but it works for me.

Did you get it as the Bunny-buster kit, as detailed here in Oz's road test? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFcwkEM7pig

They seem to pay less and get ALL that useful stuff - decent scope, rings, bipod, bolt handle biggerator and sling, for about the same price as we pay to get a 'spiffy' Tikka cardboard box with a rifle in it....

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Did you get it as the Bunny-buster kit, as detailed here in Oz's road test? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFcwkEM7pig

They seem to pay less and get ALL that useful stuff - decent scope, rings, bipod, bolt handle biggerator and sling, for about the same price as we pay to get a 'spiffy' Tikka cardboard box with a rifle in it....
    Lol, just the rifle in a nice box

I like the idea of the tx1 as in you can swap all the parts ie stocks in different ones

just to add to the original post

I have a Tikka HMR
    I found the trigger extremely heavy, after reading about the adjustment on the net where it said it could not be adjusted right down and needing to change the spring I adjusted it all the way, that was way to light for me so adjusted it back a bit, it now breaks nicely ,
    I did swab out the barrel before shooting, the trigger was to heavy at the start to get any meaningful zero, I was using up a box of winchester to set up, I then went straight onto V-Max to set zero, shot 40 off of those, following day had one successful shot at vermin, this was with a dirty cold barrel, so it held zero, proven by the 29 at targets, took the mod off today could not believe the crud on the crown, so gave the barrel a swab out and put some patches through it until they came out clean, took it out for a few shots it is still holding zero. impressed that the barrel is not cleaning sensitive, OK not scrubbed it yet, but probably won't
    after a 140 shots I really like the very smooth positive bolt action, the fact you cannot work the bolt with the safety on and something I never considered before buying but appreciate now is the easy loading hassle free magazine and the bullet feed from the mag
    Len