Thread: Henry Monks Chester

Henry Monks Chester

Hi guys I was told the other day that Monks had shut down last week anyone heard anything
    A few nice rifles

You mean it's taken this long?,thought they'd closed when they moved from foregate street.

Latterly they kept a limited selection of springers, in the preferred calibre sir...... .22

How long were they in business? I used to drool outside their window in Foregate Street when I was in my early teens - more than 50 years ago . . .

Think they have been open many years my dad bought guns there when he was young and he's 80 now . They moved up the side street alongside Tesco . I bought guns there in the 70s and 80s , a 35e an airsporter S and an AYA No4 12B
    A few nice rifles

Quote Originally Posted by stevew View Post
    How long were they in business? I used to drool outside their window in Foregate Street when I was in my early teens - more than 50 years ago . . .
    That makes two of us,their website states 163 years,my grandad had a twelve gauge side by side hammer gun made by them.

Out taking rabbits with it in his ragged sports jacket,he looked remarkably like Jed Clampett

Slightly off topic but related. Always chuckle recalling frequently contacting Arthur Monk, Civil Engineers, by phone.
    The young lady would always respond "A Monk. How can I help". Cracked me up every time.

Monks

Was in Chester today and Monks is open , don't know were the guy who told me they were shut but was wrong 😀
    A few nice rifles

Great ,remind me to call in their Queen Street premises and ask for a .177

Since Mrs tac is a real Cestrian, Monks have been a part of our lives for most of her life, and a good portion of mine - I first walked through the little door in Foregate Street some time in 1969. When they moved, and my dear old pal Jim Clark took over, I was an infrequent but worthwhile customer, buying a number of centre-fire rifles and accessories there over the years. When Jim retired, and the two present incumbents took over, I often spent a hour or so just gassing - they were what most of us dream of, a gun shop who knew their customer base like the back of their hands. I would have been very sorry to have discovered that they had gone, without having been able to say goodbye.

Coopers in Northgate Street anyone?,stockists of the finest BSA and Webley could produce at the time.

Also cheaper eastern European offerings for us kids.