Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who make the second best looking springers to AA today

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    We agree.

Of course, 15-40 years ago, we’d have had them and the nice HWs (including factory tyros), and the FWB Sport, and the Webley Tracker, Omega, Viscount, Longbow, Tomahawk, Stingray, AA Khamsin and Camargue (and then stick the PE in the mix too, with the u/levers), Diana 35, 36 and 38 as well as the 52, BSA Mercs and Sporters and Supersports, even the Anschutz 335 (Mk2), some of the BSFs.

Now, they are almost all gone.

Nice looking springers peaked in the 80s, flatlined in the 90s, and died out from the mid-2000s.
    I agree that aside from a very few exceptions mentioned throughout this thread, these days a decent springer is generally the result of extensive and expensive customisation. It seems all the creative effort goes into PCP's.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
    I agree that aside from a very few exceptions mentioned throughout this thread, these days a decent springer is generally the result of extensive and expensive customisation. It seems all the creative effort goes into PCP's.
    I'm not sure that there was better looking springers years ago,
    we didn't have these for a start

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post

I'm sure this will be controversial, but the TX200 looks great from that side, now flip it over and you're faced with an aesthetically gross anti-bear-trap lever and slotted breech cover, neither of which blight the Pro Sport or HW97K and perhaps other rifles with similar mechanism. So why all the unnecessary iron mongery on the TX 200 series? After all, this thread is all about good looks.

No, but we had customs, before the market caught up. Venom, Airmasters, etc etc etc.

Example: my ancient, metal needs refinishining, but early (tuned) HW77K with period suppressor (Venom copy) in CS thumbhole “Varminter” walnut. Can’t post pics, but it is both my best shooting springer, and my most attractive one. When I finally get it refinished and add my new old stock Venom suppressor, it will look nicer, not shoot much better, but I would happily put it up against any springer made now, on performance, handling, or (esp) looks.

We also had airsporters, Mercury's, walnut longbows and tomahawks, 35e's and Luxus, bsfb55, feinwerkbau sport, relum tornado etc, etc.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    We also had airsporters, Mercury's, walnut longbows and tomahawks, 35e's and Luxus, bsfb55, feinwerkbau sport, relum tornado etc, etc.
    Max I have been looking at some of the old guns you mention and IMO most of them don't seem in the same looks class as some of the current models.
    But I like the look of this mk1
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&so...44184023220918

Well, it is in the eye of the beholder! I might concede on the tornado but the rest are up for debate. My judgement may be clouded by having handled /owned the TX and PS. neither of which balance that nicely or feel particularly good in my hands. I still have a mk3 TX in the nicer looking checkered beech stock but it feels like a dead stick in my hands compared to almost everything else. Accurate though and not bad looking but no airspoter!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Ok just getting this out there first, Im not shit stirring or trolling or even just trying to provoke a response.
    I personally think the Air Arms springers aren't that nice looking, that slope between the action and the barrel just seems an afterthought and Ive never liked it...

There are many features of the TX that I really do like such as the anti beartrap release button
    The Prosport looks great with the hidden underleaver too
    Both are fantastic rifles to shoot and the trigger is especially nice too, theres absolutely no denying that at all

But looks wise... they're just dogs, sorry!
    And that bloody backwards fish scale on the Mk3 TX stock,,, Jesus H glue sniffing Christ stop drinking cheap petrol and eating magic mushies Air Arms design team

Personally, looks wise I prefer the HW77,
    Its a nice rifle to shoot and I do love my old 1993 HW77k... but I honestly do think the TX is the better rifle in a lot of ways.

If you want me to name a best looking springer after an AA Im looking at the Bam B2 etc

But If you want me to name a best looking springer over and above an AA then personally the BSA Airsporter Stutzen is a great place to start your list
    Im pretty sure the AA offerings would probably just make my top 50 of good looking springers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Anybody View Post
    I personally think the Air Arms springers aren't that nice looking, that slope between the action and the barrel just seems an afterthought and Ive never liked it...

There are many features of the TX that I really do like such as the anti beartrap release button
    Strange, I love the slope, hate the anti beartrap, beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Anybody View Post
    that bloody backwards fish scale on the Mk3 TX stock,,, Jesus H glue sniffing Christ
    Agreed.

And the latest “WEIHRAUCH” stamped stocks. And hugely prominent safety warnings. I do not need an airgun with big stampings on it telling me not to shoot myself in the face with it, because I am not a bleeding moron.

More generally, wood quality and finish are down, too. Across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
    Strange, I love the slope, hate the anti beartrap, beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.
    Life would be pretty boring of we all liked the same things,, cos we'd have nothing to moan and banter about

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Agreed.

And the latest “WEIHRAUCH” stamped stocks. And hugely prominent safety warnings. I do not need an airgun with big stampings on it telling me not to shoot myself in the face with it, because I am not a bleeding moron.

More generally, wood quality and finish are down, too. Across the board.
    Arghhh don't get me started on this faux fashionista vandalism....

Yes great point there..... I know its a f'king Weihrauch,,,
    I bought the bloody thing so I don't need you treating me like an illiterate tard and carving the brand onto the side of my rifle to remind me
    Bloody americans are so scared of being sued they reduce everything to the lowest common denominator and insist everybody else is compliant in their stupidity.

When it comes to traditional classic looks HW vs Diana underlevers I guess it's personal taste but I know what I like

Also remember the fish scale vote thread the fish scale won so AA do know what they are doing

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    When it comes to traditional classic looks HW vs Diana underlevers I guess it's personal taste but I know what I like

Also remember the fish scale vote thread the fish scale won so AA do know what they are doing

I have to agree with you Barry with the above two rifles, the Diana looks far better, I think the stock on the 77 is an attempt to copy the TX and LGV but it looks like someone traced around a picture of said stocks with a lump of coal, it's to blocky, the problem for me is, I don't like exposed underlevers, thus my love for the Prosport and Airsporter, I just don't like things sticking out where they don't need to be and spoiling the looks.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

If we're talking older rifles, FWB Sport and Air Arms Khamsin anyone?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I have a few classic and modern springers ,and the Pro/sport is the best looking current model available((don't like the fish scale nonsense ) imo.
    But a nice Webley Tomahawk or Longbow in Walnut is nicer to look at and shoot with .I do prefer the B/ barrel's .
    Les..