Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stock identification -help required? Air arms? Side lever?

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    So was the .22 cal SL600 never actually made available?
    As far as I can work out only one SL600 was released, Matty.

That gun was given away as a prize in AGW or AG, and there's a thread on here about it --- search for SL800.

Edit :- found it --- http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....69#post5694269

Obviously, JB could have built and sold others which weren't so well documented so perhaps Greenway could fill us in better ?

So was the .22 cal SL600 never actually made available?

My SL800 is actually more like SL670 if we are naming the gun by the power it achieves

To be fair I have not done anything to this example since I bought it 5 or 6 years ago, having spent hours fettling my previous SL800 for very little gain.

Matty
    Thats what I was told regarding the .22" version. You must have had a very poorly SL800 and not fettled the previous one correctly. . I never "fettled" the one I had and it certainly lived up to its moniker with wasps and H&N flatheads.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Thats what I was told regarding the .22" version. You must have had a very poorly SL800 and not fettled the previous one correctly. . I never "fettled" the one I had and it certainly lived up to its moniker with wasps and H&N flatheads.

The design, mechanism and quality of components in the action is pretty junky, let's be honest

I'll actually get it out now and test with wadcutters and original .177 wasps and revert with chrono results

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

The design, mechanism and quality of components in the action is pretty junky, let's be honest

I'll actually get it out now and test with wadcutters and original .177 wasps and revert with chrono results

Matty
    A quick question, Matty.

My Fast Deer has a very wide throat at the start of the barrel, if I held the gun with the barrel pointing downwards I could drop a pellet clean into the barrel --- is yours like that ?

I only ask as my Fast Deer is a skip rescue so I know no history of it.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    A quick question, Matty.

My Fast Deer has a very wide throat at the start of the barrel, if I held the gun with the barrel pointing downwards I could drop a pellet clean into the barrel --- is yours like that ?

I only ask as my Fast Deer is a skip rescue so I know no history of it.
    Hi Mick

The pellet drops about 1mm into the barrel. No further.

I've just chrono'd mine and it's worse than i remember - 6.5 ft lb - only 610 fps with 7.9 gr

I think it's time to take this one apart for the first time.

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Hi Mick

I've just chrono'd mine and it's worse than i remember - 6.5 ft lb - only 610 fps with 7.9 gr

Matty

Sounds like someone's stuffed a reamer up mine then, Matty.

I wonder how the barrel's held in, I could convert it to .22".

Sounds like someone's stuffed a reamer up mine then, Matty.

I wonder how the barrel's held in, I could convert it to .22".
    I'm going to email you a few photos Mick as my photobucket is not working

Just to be sure that this is an SL800 - it was sold to me as such.

Matty
    Last edited by MattyBoy; 05-12-2018 at 12:47 PM.

http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.co...t-3-final.html

Interesting.

I'm beginning to think that what I have is "just" a Fast Deer and not one of the ones which went through Titan to become an SL800

Matty
    Last edited by MattyBoy; 05-12-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Hi Mick

Matty

Apparently thats about the performance of one without the Titan tweaks. According to JB the Chinese were very interested in what had been done to increase performance to the level of the SL 800. I tried to get a .22" off JB but there were only 4 or 5 samples sent and the delivery of the main order never arrived. He didnt want to part with his .22"

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Apparently thats about the performance of one without the Titan tweaks. According to JB the Chinese were very interested in what had been done to increase performance to the level of the SL 800. I tried to get a .22" off JB but there were only 4 or 5 samples sent and the delivery of the main order never arrived. He didnt want to part with his .22"
    Indeed with the internals being kind of BSA Meteor dimensions I am not surprised that it's only running 600 fps.

TBH I can't be arsed to take it apart but I might put a little oil down the TP onto the leather seal unless that's a bad idea in terms of excessive dieseling...

I rebuilt both my MK1 Meteors with lots of polishing and top hats etc. and they both run nicely at about 8.5 ft lb.

I did a Super Meteor MK 5 with a cut down Titan spring and got it to 10 ft lb but it wasn't as nice to shoot as my MK 1s.

Cheers
    Matty
    Last edited by MattyBoy; 05-12-2018 at 04:08 PM.

I'm going to email you a few photos Mick as my photobucket is not working

Just to be sure that this is an SL800 - it was sold to me as such.

Matty

Hi Matty

It's vary hard to say if it's an SL800 from your photos, the stock appears to be an SL stock but most of JB's work was on the piston.

If it has an O ringed piston, piston weight and adjuster on the trigger then chances are it's an SL, the one thing throwing me on the pictures is the lack of screw on scope rail.

All the best Mick

Hi Matty

It's vary hard to say if it's an SL800 from your photos, the stock appears to be an SL stock but most of JB's work was on the piston.

If it has an O ringed piston, piston weight and adjuster on the trigger then chances are it's an SL, the one thing throwing me on the pictures is the lack of screw on scope rail.

All the best Mick
    I suppose I better just pull it apart to find out what's inside then

Unfortunately the sash clamp I had been using as a spring compressor had to be returned to its owner after 18 months

Looking down the TP it rather looks like what I can see is the edge of a screw and the classic leather seal type of "cap" / "insert"

There is no evidence of there ever having been a rail and there is no adjustment on the frankly awful trigger.

I don't want to strip it down without a compressor as the trigger is held in by the back block pin too.

Matty