Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First post

First post

Hi, the title says it all really. This is just a quick hello, and thank you for letting me join your forum. I am going to need it as it is years since I handled an Air Rifle, thus the reason for joining this forum.
    What started all this off is that I have recently come in possession of a Webley Hawk. From a quick look here and other forums I think it must be a Mk1 as all it says on it is Webley Hawk. I cannot find any stock number or any other identification on the rifle apart from a .177 on the barrel. So rather than than leave this rifle in its present semi neglected state, I have decided that it needs looking at and it is made safe to use, and it deserves a good home.
    Hoping to learn much from this forum and hope that I don't pester too many people as I am only starting out and even with my limited reading, i can feel that I have a lot to learn and a long way to go.
    Cheers, Splintercat

Bet you by this time next year you have more than one!

A very helpful forum with plenty of knowledgeable members.

Welcome
    Neil

welcome bud

Hi Splintercat, I trust the splinter was removed and the cat is in good health.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
    Splintercat
    There has to be a good story there.

There has to be a good story there.
    Saxmaniac….mine's quite obvious and boring, I play the saxophone... badly

Welcome!

The Hawk came in three variants (originally advertised as “For the men in the family” - well, it was 1971).

Mk 1 (1971-74) has a “swoopy” (is that a word?) very stylised stock, and a barrel removable by a very large slotted screw on the breech block, with according markings - BARREL LOCK and ON/OFF. 17.5” barrel.

Mk2 (1974-77) usually has a 17.125” barrel. Small screw to finally lock a screw-in barrel. Starts with swoopy stock, then it gets less, er, swoopy, especially the fore end.

Mk3 (1977-79) has a plainer stock more like the later Vulcan, and a fixed barrel.

Hope this helps ID what you have.

A very warm welcome to the forum.

Lots of knowledgeable, friendly people here.

Enjoy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Get out whilst you can!

It's not safe here.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Mmmm...Welcome, one of the best forums in the cosmos and so much willing and helpful expertise.

Losing ones virginity in the initiation ceremony by the grand masters is pure propaganda - it is not painful. Just sit back and enjoy. You won't get reprimanded by asking which oil is best, or, why BSA is better than Weihrauch, no matter how many times asked.

The apprentice.....

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    You won't get reprimanded by asking which oil is best, or, why BSA is better than Weihrauch, no matter how many times asked.
    If he puts up a thread saying BSA is better than Weihrauch, then he kick up one hell of a shit storm amongst the HW freaks

He may also get a gentle shove towards the search feature if he asks "which is best" .177 or .22 or TX200 or HW97

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    He may also get a gentle shove towards the search feature if he asks "which is best" .177 or .22 or TX200 or HW97

Pete
    ***THREAD HIJACK ALERT***

Obviously the HW97 is far superior

***THREAD HIJACK ALERT***

Obviously the HW97 is far superior
    May be in your warped mind

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    May be in your warped mind

Pete
    I confess I’ve never even picked up a TX200, but you set yourself up for a hijack!

thank you

Thanks for all the replies, and the welcome and hopefully i will start to re-furbish the Hawk really soon. I have taken the time to take a few few photographs and now all I have to do is try to decipher the ins and outs of how to get them onto this forum.
    I am sure that I have used photobucket or something similar so shouldn't be too much of a problem, as if I find restoring classic Minis a doddle how hard can pushing a few laptop keys be ??

To answer the question about Splintercat......suggest you read Terry Brooks, Shannara series, that's where it is from but don't know how it came about.

My stock isn't at all a " swoopy" but very much "squarish" in appearance, and all though it has all the feel and look of being home made, can't get the niggle out of my head that it is factory made?

All will become clearer when I get the pictures up, but rather busy at the moment on a tree cutting/aboriculturist course..... timber etc, but will post really soon.

Thank you all again for my warm welcome.

Splintercat.