Thread: new to air rifles

new to air rifles

never even looked in this section, I never had air rifles, but today a lady knew Im into shooting and asked if I wanted some old tat she was taking to the recycle centre

I now own a record air pistol, I beleive to be an LP77 looks odd but will be ideal for my daughter to plink at cans up the yard

and 2 rifles that sadly got proper surface rust yet have little wear and tear

a lincoln super comet,

and

a rifle simply marked, "original" and model 45 made in germany

was shocked its got a lovely trigger in it, and auto safety

looking forward to stripping them and deciding about reblacking or some other finish to just keep them clean and let them work again around the yard
    Don't worry it only seems kinky the first time

I have never heard of a Lincoln Super Comet but the Original mod 45 is a great break barrel air rifle!

They have decent power and fairly simple to work on. If you look on the left hand side of the cylinder near where the metal meets the wood and closer to the trigger than the barrel. You should see a couple of numbers. For example '8 81' This would indicate what year it was made with '8 81' meaning August 1981.

I think you'll find that the Lincoln Super Comet is a rebadged Norica or Cometa if you need any parts.

All the best Mick

I cannot advise on the others but the Original 45 has near legendary status for many on this site. It was very accurate and just below full power, just under 12ft/lbs (the legal limit). The trigger was not bad either and very good by the standards at the time. I still have mine, as new in 1980 and still use it. I believe the production dates for this brand were approximately 1977/8 to late 1980s. It had a leather washer so you will wish to ensure this is lubricated although it did not require much in this regard - perhaps a few drops of neatsfoot compound via the transfer port and left overnight. However, if you shoot one or two test shots down the barrel, check to see if there is a film of smoke in the barrel, in which case it is probably ok and requires no further oil. Sometimes you could leave these for many years and the leather washers did not dry out.

Barrow Bury St Edmunds duck hunting central

Original

Original 45, a lovely rifle indeed. Enjoy it!
    When your world is full of strange arrangements

And gravity won't pull you through