Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighter or heavier .22 pellets in springer

Lighter or heavier .22 pellets in springer

I haven’t had a .22 for decades. Not only that, but it will be a springer - .177 and PCP I’m ok with, but a .22 springer...

I will be one of the first with the advice “every gun / barrel is different, you’ll have to test”, but I also remember reading that lighter pellets are better in springers. I’m not looking for “cloverleaf” at 25yds, but 20mm would be nice. So heavy, light, or in-between?

Same old story you will have test
    My .22 97 likes most weights but my .22 95 likes AA fields and so does my SFS IMP . .177 likes 8.4gr or 7.9 gr

I've been using JSB RS pellets to good effect in my hw77 in .22.
    They do everything I want.
    There is a .2 ftlb difference between the 13.4 grain RS pellets and the 18 grain JSB heavies but a much more forgiving trajectory
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

For a springer I'd usually default for a lightweight like RS or FAP but, part of the fun is the pellet testing - give a few a whirl and see what works best.

All of the above.

Subject to internal set-up (spring force, piston weight, swept volume, TP diameter and volume), GENERALLY a lighter pellet will give higher energy readings in a sub-12 springer.

Accuracy will be totally dependant on pellet to barrel compatibility.

Test with as many quality pellets as you can.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thank you.

I now appreciate the background to the springer and lighter weight pellet relationship.

As my intention is just fun plinking, I’ll limit the time and money by getting a JSB tester pack.

In my experience if a particular springer seems piston slammy with a lighter pellet then a heavier one will dial this out.

In the same way if you detect piston bounce then a lighter pellet with lower inertia should dial this out.

It's all about accuracy at the end of the day even if you "feel" that the shot cycle isn't as "nice" as it might be, the target card will tell you the most important story.

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Thank you.

As my intention is just fun plinking, I’ll limit the time and money by getting a JSB tester pack.
    Don't overlook Falcons - I find FAPs easily the most consistent on my only .22 - but JSBs are better in all my .177s

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    Don't overlook Falcons - I find FAPs easily the most consistent on my only .22 - but JSBs are better in all my .177s
    FAPs are indeed an excellent pellet

I use them in many of my .22 springers

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Don't miss trying the RWS Hobby. Relatively cheap - I admit no good at really long range but out to 25m - even 35m its fine.

This is a group I got the other week at 25m with my .22 HW80

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AXwSa8thfcQ34zB26

RWS Hobbys

I tried RWS Hobbys in .22 and they really don't produce much power. I only get about 550 fps which for 11.9 grains is petty slow. I get higher velocities using spitfires at 13.89 grains more like 600.

OK, ordered a tin of JSB Test, a tin of FAP and as a daft idea, some H&N Excite Hammer (at £2.89 for 250, yes £2.89 - not expecting much!)

Thanks all who shared their knowledge and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by pfaber11 View Post
    I tried RWS Hobbys in .22 and they really don't produce much power. I only get about 550 fps which for 11.9 grains is petty slow. I get higher velocities using spitfires at 13.89 grains more like 600.
    How is the grouping at 25m with the Spitfires?

And which air rifle are you using?

Matty

I've always been led to believe lighter pellets are better for a springer

After testing the limited number of pellets, for me, with my gun, the JSB RS has the edge over the FAP.