Thread: Target shooting glasses ?

Target shooting glasses ?

It's time ..... has anybody been down this road and can recommend a manufacturer or any advice ?
    Im looking at varga, knobloch, mec ,champion ...... too much choice and its an online purchase so i have no way to try before i buy.
    At the minute i mainly need a blinder and i think an iris would be beneficial but my eyesight is changing so a lens isn't too far away
    This will be for pistol.
    I don't feel the need to spend more than necessary but at the same time i want enough adjustment to make them fit me properly / comfortably and quality that will last.
    I can think of more enjoyable ways to spend the money but i think it's time.

Years ago I bought a Varga frame, they are all adjustable and I personally don't think sapending 2 or 3 times more is really worth it. It's all down to the lense and that is down to your optician. I visited an optician who works at Bisley and is based in Bristol (at the time I lived in Swindon) he tested me and supplied a suitable lense, the prescription is more like reading glasses rather than distance glasses as you need to get your front sight in sharp focus as you are probably well aware.
    https://jhs-eyewear.com/pages/jh-steward-bisley
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Regular opticians don't understand what's required for shooting glasses as the focus point is very much different to normal glasses, try to get hold of the opticians at Bisley Camp or they might be one at Diggle.👍

If you have buy new, then the cheapest will probably do, Varga are about £80.00 on the Bay. Get the 37mm lens holder. Secondhand can sometimes be found on the Stirton forum but they tend to be the more expensive models anyway and might end up costing you more than a new Varga pair.

Varga accessories are available from Intershoot but I wouldn’t be in too much of a hurry to get an iris, get a properly prescribed lens sorted out first. Ask around in your club, because people must use opticians for similar purposes. There are quite a few shooting knowledgeable opticians around the country. Once again, Stirton is a good place to ask that question.

I don’t know how old you are, but very many years ago I was told that if you are over 40 and not wearing glasses to shoot, then you probably should be. In the light of experience I would agree with that👓

Rutty

Thanks for the replies

It will have to be a local optician so i need to learn as much as i can myself.

Glasses are not popular at my clubs, only a few rifle shooters use them, (never pistol shooters) and to be honest they wouldn't give you the time of day let alone help or advice.

I will check out the Stirton forum, thanks for that.

Im 48 and my eyes are starting to change noticeably, last couple of years i have made the move to the pound shop reading glasses in the workshop but my pistol shooting has never been as good.
    A makeshift blinder has really helped me, returning to air pistol was just to keep shooting during the first lockdown but i have a renewed interest now and i would like to take it a bit more seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidboy1 View Post
    It's time ..... has anybody been down this road and can recommend a manufacturer or any advice ?
    Im looking at varga, knobloch, mec ,champion ...... too much choice and its an online purchase so i have no way to try before i buy.
    At the minute i mainly need a blinder and i think an iris would be beneficial but my eyesight is changing so a lens isn't too far away
    This will be for pistol.
    I don't feel the need to spend more than necessary but at the same time i want enough adjustment to make them fit me properly / comfortably and quality that will last.
    I can think of more enjoyable ways to spend the money but i think it's time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor123 View Post
    Regular opticians don't understand what's required for shooting glasses as the focus point is very much different to normal glasses, try to get hold of the opticians at Bisley Camp or they might be one at Diggle.👍

Have a look at this thread :-
    https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...shooters/page2
    Especially the last post/photos with my homemade gizmo to aid the test.

Atb
    Chris
    BSA Ultra Multi .22 ( Falcon Merlin 10x42T, `Tweaky` reg, HW mod, Cobra Merlin+Dipol L3 ), Skan M32 .177 (3-12x44 mini SWAT), Alros Trailsman .177 (Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 , `Tweaky` reg ), Steyr Evo 10e and a Daystate Pulsar. 177..

Stewardsons at Bisley I found quite expensive for a lens,not had a prob getting an optician to make me a quality lens at less than half what he was asking

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_SwampThing View Post
    Have a look at this thread :-
    https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...shooters/page2
    Especially the last post/photos with my homemade gizmo to aid the test.

Atb
    Chris
    i will try this on my revolvers....i do have issues with open sights due to astigmatism and old age

Quote Originally Posted by craig9mm View Post
    Stewardsons at Bisley I found quite expensive for a lens,not had a prob getting an optician to make me a quality lens at less than half what he was asking
    Try https://www.reglaze-glasses-direct.com/ next time you need lenses if you have the prescription.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    i will try this on my revolvers....i do have issues with open sights due to astigmatism and old age
    I just posted this on another shooting glasses thread:-

"If you have the final prescription for your shooting lens, this outfit give excellent and economical service: https://www.reglaze-glasses-direct.com/

If you only have your prescription for normal spectacles, the lens you need will be somewhere between the "far" and "near" sphere value (Cylinder and axis remain the same).

Make a mock-up of your pistol (length of wood with a "foresight" that you can hold at the required distance) and check the sphere value you need from a rack of ready readers in a local store. Order two lenses, one at this value and another either + or - 0.5 diopter, but with your correct cylinder and axis. At £15 for two lenses you have little to lose and the chances are that one will be spot on. "
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.