Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eye test for shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_SwampThing View Post
    As you may notice, I actually started this thread ages ago.
    In the end I spoke with the manager of my local Specsavers and Vision Express, explained exactly why I wanted specific testing and both agreed that I could have an appointment and be able to bring in my pistol. I explained how it worked and that I would not be bringing any pellets nor the air cylinder.
    I made a gizmo to assist with the test.
    I cut a plastic straw in half and split it lengthways, so that it could be rolled tighter to slide inside the end of the barrel. I then printed off a small sheet of various sized text and with sticky tape attached this to the end of the straw. Then, during the test and holding the pistol in my shooting stance, I was able more accurately gauge the effect of the various lenses by reading the text which was at exactly the right distance from my eye (I could have just taped the card to the end of the barrel but I didn't want to get my nice new gun covered with sticky stuff).

Persevere and you should manage to get through to someone with common sense.

Atb
    Chris
    Great idea Chris !
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I thought that was a great idea too. Don't think I need to take it yet but just have to remember it for when I do.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

I keep the gizmo in my bag because I find it useful for getting my eye in when dry-firing at the start of a session or just when practicing my hold/stance at home, especially when lighting conditions vary and backgrounds are cluttered.

Anyone can make one of these, you don't even need a printer because it is just as easy to cut a section of print from a newspaper/magazine and tape this to the card. Push the straw through the hole so that there is about an inch either side, make a few cuts lengthways on the back section so that the straw can be starfished and then secure with sticky tape.

Atb
    Chris
    BSA Ultra Multi .22 ( Falcon Merlin 10x42T, `Tweaky` reg, HW mod, Cobra Merlin+Dipol L3 ), Skan M32 .177 (3-12x44 mini SWAT), Alros Trailsman .177 (Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 , `Tweaky` reg ), Steyr Evo 10e and a Daystate Pulsar. 177..

Some excellent advice here.

At home I shoot pistol, lead pellet only, into a trap of 1/4 steel plate and nothing comes back. At the range people are using all sorts, and I use industrial safety glasses as eye protection.

But I’m beginning to need prescription glasses. Does anyone know how much protection ordinary prescription glasses provide against bb’s or pellets bouncing back or ricochetting?

Are there alternative prescription safety glasses?

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbly bob View Post

At home I shoot pistol, lead pellet only, into a trap of 1/4 steel plate and nothing comes back. At the range people are using all sorts, and I use industrial safety glasses as eye protection.

But I’m beginning to need prescription glasses. Does anyone know how much protection ordinary prescription glasses provide against bb’s or pellets bouncing back or ricochetting?

Personally I'd feel safe wearing ordinary prescription glasses if shooting 6 ft/lb lead at 10m. I wear glasses at work in lieu of safety specs. Steel bbs and other high velocity hard stuff...perhaps less so. I wear proper goggles when using say an angle grinder.
    Loads of places online make prescription safety glasses. Intend to get a pair myself when I get a new prescription.
    Good deals with these members

Most "glasses" use a polycarbonate lens these days which is pretty good at resisting BB's or lead pellets. Unlike glass it won't shatter on impact. Polycarb lenses are lighter than glass and so long as they are anti-reflective and scratch resistant coated they work well for shooting. Industrial safety specs will have (probably) side guards to help prevent debris flying into you from the side, you could easily tape over one lens to form a blinder but you will have to check the competition regulations to make sure your blinder isn't oversize.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

If you have the final prescription for your shooting lens, this outfit give excellent and economical service: https://www.reglaze-glasses-direct.com/

If you only have your prescription for normal spectacles, the lens you need will be somewhere between the "far" and "near" sphere value (Cylinder and axis remain the same).

Make a mock-up of your pistol (length of wood with a "foresight" that you can hold at the required distance) and check the sphere value you need from a rack of ready readers in a local store. Order two lenses, one at this value and another either + or - 0.5 diopter, but with your correct cylinder and axis. At £15 for two lenses you have little to lose and the chances are that one will be spot on.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Thanks chaps. I had to google sphere, cylinder, and axis, as this stuff is new to me. I will look at all your suggestions.

Thanks chaps. I had to google sphere, cylinder, and axis, as this stuff is new to me. I will look at all your suggestions.
    They are stated clearly on the prescription that your optician is required to give you. If they try keeping it so you buy glasses/lenses from them, insist.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.